New Tripod: Cartoni Focus - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 8th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #16

I knew I was getting something good when I ordered the Cartoni Focus. When it arrived I was even happier with it than I thought I would be. It's sturdy and the knobs and levers that are used for adjusting have a real quality feel.
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I've been using the Cartoni Focus a while now and wanted to follow-up. I am very pleased with this head. A friend of mine solved the problem with the Bogen ART legs which I copied and it totally eliminated the only negative I was experiencing. This only affects using it on Bogen ART legs, The solution is an improvement over the stock head's tie down cup so overall, I feel like I have an even better head..

I find the adjustable tension and tilt especially handy in accomodating the various configurations of my XL1s.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:46 AM   #18
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest House
I've been using the Cartoni Focus a while now and wanted to follow-up. I am very pleased with this head. A friend of mine solved the problem with the Bogen ART legs which I copied and it totally eliminated the only negative I was experiencing. This only affects using it on Bogen ART legs, The solution is an improvement over the stock head's tie down cup so overall, I feel like I have an even better head.
Ernest,
I'm very curious what solution you and your friend worked out. I'd likely buy this tripod combination (Cartoni Focus head with Bogen 542ART legs) if this issue can be resolved.
Thank you,
Jeremy
Jeremy Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have a manfrotto 542 ART legs, I guess it is the same as the Bogen 542 ART - does anybody know if the Focus will fit to this?
Maybe somebody could post the diameter of the Focus bowl handle ?
I measured the inner diameter of the 542, it´s 65 mm on the most narrow spot. this narrow spot is located from 50 to 80 mm below the hole ( bottom ) of the ball cage. ( sorry my english is not that good .. ), it´s where the holders/cardridges of the legs are located when the legs are closed.
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I've been contacted by several readers asking about the fix that lets the Focus work with the Bogen ART legs. The solution was to buy a Bogen 3141BALL which is a 100mm ball leveler with a straight handle tie down cup. You throw the ball away and have to retap the threads in the tie-down cup to match the Focus. Before you take delivery on the head, you may ask the dealer of they will do it for you if you send them the part.
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Snyder
Ernest,
I'd likely buy this tripod combination (Cartoni Focus head with Bogen 542ART legs) if this issue can be resolved.
Thank you,
Jeremy
Hello, I just wonder why so many are buying the 542ART instead of any Cartoni tripod to the Cartoni Focus head. The Cartoni tripods weigh much less according to their broshure, for instance a T622/C is 5 lbs compared to 8.8 for the 542ART.
Is it for the ART system? Will it make it much faster? I'm about to buy a tripod and will probably get the Focus head.
Thankful for any good information.
Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Weight is important to figure out. The ART legs are OK and take getting used to. They are fast to change height and setup. Another difference with the T622/C legs is that the Cartoni legs are 1-stage vs the 542 2-stage.
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Another difference with the T622/C legs is that the Cartoni legs are 1-stage vs the 542 2-stage.
Hello Ernest,
Yes, but I'm actually considering the Cartoni T622/2C which is 2-stage at only 4 lbs according to their specs. This is amasingly light (4 lbs) and only 22.6" folded.
However, the closed length of the 542 ART is 28.7" which is actually closer to the 1-stage T622/C with 32.8".
I havn't seen these two first tripods in reality and our dealer does just take them home on order.
I guess the rigid metal parts around the legs on the 542 ART explains the more than double weight.
Is the faster speed worth the weight penalty? Yes, it is like comparing apples and pears like Doug Boze said on the other thread. A light tripod so you will take it with you. Or a fast tripod so you will have time to get it up in time?
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Weight could be a negative of the 542ART. It's surprising that a CF tripod is that heavy. So while the ART mechanism is disliked by some, I feel it works quite well and I would not like to go back to the flip lock routine. And, while fast on the setup, the weight may slow you down if running is what you do. I walk like a pack mule with all my gear. I don't know what camera you are toting but chances are it's something that will also slow you down. Add in the Focus head and ...

I would not trade my rig. Period. I understand you may want the lighter Cartoni legs. It was hard to find a photo of one but the one I saw had a floor spreader which I really don't like. One thing to research about light legs is are they so light that they aren't stable. My rig is well suited to the XL1s and I can go larger later as I expect my Focus and Art tripod to outlast my camera(s). THere are no clear answers. You need to decide for yourself.
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:32 PM   #25
Major Player

I got more weight for the same price ...

Quote:
Weight could be a negative of the 542ART.
Dear Ernest,
Thank you for your reply. I wonder if you (or anybody else) could weigh your combination:
Cartoni Focus head with pan bar and camera plate + Manfrotto 542ART with spreader and suitable ball or whetever it takes to mount it together. Yes, a complete working tripod combination!

I just received a Cartoni T622/2C tripod with Focus head and it was much heavier than expected.

Their brochure/web site stated 1.8 kg for the tripod and 2 for the head so I expected 3.8 kg.
The assembled tripod was about 6.9 kg!! Head 2.7 and tripod 4.2 kg!

Perhaps they listed the head without the included pan bar & camera plate & ball screw? Then the head is 2.2 kg but not usuable and still 10 % heavy.

Perhaps they weighed the tripod without spreader? That makes 3.1 kg - quite more than the 1.8 kg stated! Hm, light weight carbon - too light to be true!

So, please weigh one Manfrotto 542 ART with spreader! They state 8.8 lbs which is about 4 kg. Perhaps it is lighter, faster and cheaper than the Cartoni in the reality. Then my purchase decision could have been another.
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:38 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Cartoni Focus, 542ART legs, 3141 Bogen tie-down cup, mid-spreader, pan bar, Varizoom Stealth, Bogen 540strap all weighs in at 12lbs or 5.44 kg.

Last edited by Les Wilson; January 31st, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
I've been contacted by several readers asking about the fix that lets the Focus work with the Bogen ART legs. The solution was to buy a Bogen 3141BALL which is a 100mm ball leveler with a straight handle tie down cup. You throw the ball away and have to retap the threads in the tie-down cup to match the Focus.
Dear Ernest,

Thank you very much for your advice, it has helped me a lot and changed my mind.
In fact I returned the Cartoni legs and went your way with the Manfrotto 542ART legs combined with the Cartoni Focus head. What a tripod!!!!! I'm so impressed!

The 3141BALL was a bit difficult to find because it is called 500BALLSH here in Europe (SH stands for short).
The tap needed is a M10x1.5 because the pin on the Manfrotto ball has a UNC 3/8" thread but the Cartoni Focus head has a M10 pin.
These threads are quite close and it is easy to modify the brass threads with the M10 tap.

What a nice tripod combination!! Adjustable in every direction by just pressing buttons. And the great lockable mid-level spreader! No more dirty floor spreader on the uneven soil.
The tripod also keeps together nicely without straps or any extras!
I am glad I changed. Thanks for this great forum which takes the progress faster further when everybody can share their experiences! Thanks Chris!

BTW, this tripod requires a bit of practise until you know how to handle it. But I think it is worth it if you move around with your camera.
I'm astonished Cartoni can advertise a tripod as 1.8 kg when it is more than the double weight! This false information lured me to the wrong purchase at the first moment.
If you are out to buy a tripod in this price range take a look at this one. Definitely it is a development.

Thanks! /Johan
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #28
Major Player

For all you Focus users out there, how have they been holding up? I've heard a couple people say that Cartoni tripods break fairly easily over time.

I'm torn between the Cartoni Focus and Vinten Vision 3. The Vinten is $1699 (comes with 2-stage aluminium ground spreader sticks), versus the Cartoni for $1499 (2-stage, carbon fiber, mid-level spreader sticks).

I've read many good things about the Vinten but accessories are ridiculously expensive so I'm leaning towards the Focus. Any owners have an opinion?
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #29

Been happy with mine. I'd buy one again if I needed a second tripod.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I use mine roughly 2 hours a month. I always am transporting it to/fro the location. It's flawless thus far. I am very careful with equipment tho.

I don't think Vintens are without blemish and I wonder about durability of Vinten's rebranded Bogens in only having the name. Coincidently, we had a Vision 10 bite the dust after only 2 years of use 20 hours a month. Good thing about them is that they are worth refurbing.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads