Another Guy That Needs a Tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 22nd, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1
New Boot

Another Guy That Needs a Tripod

Ok, I've read threads till I can read no more! I too need a new tripod and think I'm starting to over anal-yze this whole thing!

I was a still photographer for 15 years and used the Bogen 3046 legs and was more than happy with them. I'm now heading off in the video direction and need a video tripod (using the DVX100a that will eventually be loaded up). I pretty much have come to the conclusion on the 503 head, but continue to scratch my head on the legs. As I mentioned before, I used the 3046 and loved them and have considered these for this new rig (I like the fact I can get to nearly 8 feet) but... some posts have stated it's best not to get legs with a center column-- why?

Bogen does makes other legs quite worthy but top out at 60'ish inches. How important is it to stay away from a center column? Any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to stay around 800.00 for everything.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, As one who uses and loves all 3 of my 3246 legs even with the center column, I vote for the 3246 (same as 3046 except black) I have run PD150s loaded up, a DSR370 also loaded up and now a JVC5000 loaded to the gills without any problem on those legs. HOWEVER, I rarely use the the center column and when I do, I try very hard to insure that 1) the floor is SOLID and 2) not to do too much fussing with the camera especially when the center column is jacked all the way up. NOW, having said all of that, I have had occassions to have to crank that puppy all the way up and climb a ladder to use it and I have not had any problem with shake rattle or roll! The 3046/3246 legs are as solid as a rock as you know and with a 503 head and the camera you're looking to put on it, I really don't see a problem. I have used the 501 head and 503 head with the 150s and the 503 will work fine. For the larger cameras I have used a 503 and now a 516 head and again, no shake. At least not from the tripod or head. I might shake but the tripod doesn't! ;-0

HTH
Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:55 AM   #3
New Boot

Don, thanks! You have solidified my decision. 3246/503
Joe Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Major Player

The problem with a center colum--unless you can remove it--is that it limits the low angle shots you can get. I can get my tripods (wood sticks and a surveyor's tripod) 4 inches off the ground.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads