Boge 516 head...snap crackle pop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Boge 516 head...snap crackle pop?

I just got my Bogen 516 head yesterday and upon mounting it to the tripod and playing around with it, I noticied a loud crackling noise while tilting. It does not occur with low drag settings, and only happens while tilting. Also, while the drag is being reduced from 100% down to a lower setting, the noise is very noticible, and quite loud. I assume it occurs from air being entraped in the internal fluid of the head.

My question: Is this normal, or should I send it back for a replacement?

Thanks.
Old March 4th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Ben,

My 516 did the same thing. I sent it to Manfrotto Service; they sent it back and said nothing was wrong with it. Guess that means it's normal!

After some use I didn't notice it making all that noise anymore, yet last weekend I used it in a cold setting and noticed it again. It stopped after things warmed up a bit.

Someone on this board informed me that the 516 is a friction head--not fluid. That doesn't make the snapping any less irritating, but it did explain a lot. : )
Old March 4th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks

Ok, thats good to know. Thanks for your help!
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Manfrotto Product Manager

<<Lorinda Norton stated:
Someone on this board informed me that the 516 is a friction head--not fluid. That doesn't make the snapping any less irritating, but it did explain a lot. : )

The 516 is in fact a fluid head. Please see this thread with a description about all the Manfrotto fluid heads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31151&perpage=15&highlight=manfrotto%20516&pagenumber=2

The popping sound you hear is air bubbles in the fluid working their way out. This sound should go away after a while, but can act up in very cold weather.

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto
Marc Schotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Wrangler

Marc,

Thank you for clearing that up for me; I've wondered for a long time why this head was listed as fluid (back when I bought it) if it really wasn't.

I'm sorry I missed seeing that thread.
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #6
New Boot

Marc,

Thanks for the info, it really helped clear some things up. The head works great, its extremely smooth, even for a beginner like me. I was just a little scared when I initially heard the noise. But I do have to mention, I don't turn the heat on in my apartment (I've got save money somewhere for all the toys I buy) so it stays pretty cold inside. Thanks for your help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads