DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Experience with Manfrotto 519? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/40640-experience-manfrotto-519-a.html)

Matt Irwin March 7th, 2005 01:02 PM

Experience with Manfrotto 519?

I've looked through other threads that came up in a search for "519" and found some good info, but I'm really looking for some reviews from those that own or have used the 519.

I know that there are 7 levels of fluid drag on the 519; are these like the Sachtler transmission found in the 7+7 and 9+9 (as in do they seize up and leave you stranded with a dead head)?

I'll be using the head with an XL2 and matte box system, and maybe smaller cameras down the road, so the multiple springs seems interesting. I' m also looking at the 516 and 316 heads. (I'd look at other brands, but I don't have that kind of money.)

My tripod is an OConnor with a 100mm bowl- anybody used the Manfrotto 75mm-to-100mm ball adapter with a non-Manfrotto tripod?

Any responses are helpful. Marc Schotland perhaps?
Thanks

Andrew Oh March 8th, 2005 01:49 AM

Hey Matt,

I've been researching tripod systems for my XL2 for the past 3 weeks and I finally decided on the Bogen 519. It's on order and I should receive it in a few days. The reason I chose this particular head is because it has so many features for the price. Very similar to the Vinten Vision 3 head except it only has 7 adjustable steps instead of 9. And since Vinten is a part of Bogen, I'm hoping they share some of the same technology. The 519 is pretty new so I wasn't able find any reviews.

I also really liked the fact that it comes with 2 springs: 1 for loads up to ~11 pounds and another for loads up to ~22 pounds. I plan to use the tripod in a variety of settings so it will range from bare bones operation to a fully loaded XL2 operation (Follow focus, support rod, matte box, dual battery, LCD field monitor). With the 2 springs, I should be able to switch back and forth with great ease.

Once I receive the unit, I'll post a detailed review.

Matt Irwin March 8th, 2005 04:32 AM

Thanks for the reply, Andrew!

I'm in exactly the same boat-- I'll be using a fully loaded XL2 but may end up using smaller cameras later on, so the same features are key to me.

I looked at the Vision 3 and and the Cartoni Alpha II (my preference, $$ aside) and the 519 seems like the best value for the features. I look foreward to your review.

Rainer Hoffmann March 8th, 2005 07:19 AM

Hi Matt,

I had the chance to (briefly) test the 519 on last years Photokina in Cologne. They had one in the Manfrotto booth with a XL2 mounted. It was smooth as silk! The pans and tilts were without any noticeable jitter (is that the correct word?) from start to finish.

I liked it so much that I ordered one two weeks ago. It hasn't arrived yet.

Marc Schotland March 9th, 2005 11:05 AM

Hi Matt:

As my view of the 519 will be biased you might prefer receiving comments about our products from your peers in this forum as they will give you the best advice which is from actual usage and testing. I can comment as to why we came out with the 519, though.

We discontinued the 505 (3465) and the 510 (3147) and combined the features of both these heads into the 519. The 505 had the ability to change out the counter-balance spring (with 5 options) depending on the various weight loads of your camera system(s) and the 510 had a fixed spring, but was adjustable. The 519 has only two springs covering weight loads from 3 to 20 lbs AND can be adjusted.

The 519 is one of our smoothest heads and the best test is to try it out. If you'll be at NAB come to our booth (we'll be a part of the Bogen Imaging booth). Plus we'll have some other new toys we're launching.

Marc Schotland
Manfrotto

Andrew Oh March 13th, 2005 12:59 AM

Hey Matt,

I finally got my head a few days ago and I had a chance to test it out in a variety of situations. All I can say is wow! At full telephoto with the XL2 (20x) w/ IS turned off, there is no "shaking" of the image from gripping the handle and it's very steady. Also, the counterbalance system is truly amazing. There is no "rebounding" when the camera is balanced. Where you stop it, it stays. Movement is very smooth and the 7 step adjustable tilt and pan knobs give you a lot of control. It's very similar to the Vinten Vision 3 in function and feel altough the Vision 3 has a better build quality and finish.

Here's what I purchased and I think it's a great setup for the price:

Bogen 519
Bogen 525 stage 2 legs w/ floor spreader
Bogen Mid level Spreader
Bogen Rubber feet
Bogen bag
Total: $1436

I had to have a mid level spreader so it's a great deal compared to the Vinten Vision 3 combo with mid level spreader for $2340 (once again, their mid level spreader is extremely nice and build quality is top notch compared to the $45 bogen mid level spreader but it gets the job done). The other mid level spreader tripod combo I considered was the Miller DS-10 but it couldn't hold the XL2 fully loaded and the amount of features you get on the 519 blew it away. The other midlevel spreader tripod someone suggested is the Sachtler DV8 but it's totally out of my price range.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the performance and features. Although I wish I could have owned a Vinten or Miller, our production had a very limited budget and I think we will be very pleased with the 519's performance. No regrets here.

Matt Irwin March 13th, 2005 01:30 PM

Well I'm pretty much sold! Depending on the funds I may still look into the Vision 3, but I'll most likely go with the 519. Thanks for the review, Andrew!

Michel Brewer March 13th, 2005 01:53 PM

Matt:

I find myself looking around for a new tripod also, can I ask you a favor if you get the 519 would it be possible to check it out at some point. I see from your profile you are in SB also. Im just curious as to the feel and dont think samys will be carrying this model. If you could get it and could spare 15 minutes at some point buy you lunch or something for the opportunity....( Im leaning toward a miller or vinten but would like to see how this one works)

Thanks

Michel

Matt Irwin March 13th, 2005 03:50 PM

Michel,

I went over to Samy's yesterday, and they actually have the 519 there. I had to ask them to pull it out of the back as there wasn't one on display. I didn't have time to put a camera up there but I want to go back and really play with it. I wish they carried Vintens there but apparently they only stock Manfrotto video heads. If you go over there, it should still be there.

Michel Brewer March 13th, 2005 03:58 PM

thanks

Matt:

Thanks for the response, I will have to venture down the street and check it out then. Yes I wish Samys had a wider selection as well the Santa Monica store is better for video but still not all that great. I did get a chance to use a Vinten for a few minutes last week to test (someone else had one forgot model #) and it was quite a bit nicer than my bogen 505. I was using a xl1s with 16x manual/ with a ma200 with ABauers and it was very smoooth.

M