best tripod for dvc30? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 14th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks, Jay! Good to know from someone who has tried more than one thing.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 06:42 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Good tripod under $200? sorry, once again....

Ok sorry, I know this has been discussed before and I do realize the importance of a good, solid tripod and that everyone will recommend me to a $800 Bogen, but there is just no way for me to ever afford that. Plus, I have used the Manfrotto 525MVB with a 501 head extensively and love it, but at $650 and about a hundred pounds, it's just too much for me.
My main concerns are simply height and a good fluid head, as a tape live shows, usually in the back (over the crowds heads). I'll be using cameras like a GL2 or a DVC30. So I have decided on these, and I really like the ProVista, for the price and the reviews. I'd love it to keep it under $250 and that one seems like the best bang for the buck. I know Bogens are indestructable but I promise I'm not that abusive. Any help or current user reviews are greatly appreciated.
Smith-Victor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Davis and Sanford
Bogen
Bogen
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 07:21 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scharff
as a tape live shows, usually in the back (over the crowds heads).
I also shoot performances from a distance of about 100 feet from the stage. Unfortunately this is one of the most demanding things for a tripod and head. When you're zoomed in all the way every slight jerk in panning/tilting motion is greatly magnified, as is every slight tripod movement. I used a Manfrotto 3221/501 setup and was very unhappy with the results even after a lot of practice. I upgraded to a Miller DS-5 which was a huge improvement, but it cost around $800.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but I can't imagine you will get acceptable shots with a $200 tripod in this situation unless you are using locked down shots and not zooming in all the way.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #19
Major Player

Good Morning, Chris.

To be blunt: There is no such thing as a "good", or, "adequate", or, whatever, for @$250. It does not exist.

You get what you paid for. Swallow the lump in your throat, and spend the loot.

In the long run you will be much happier.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:33 PM   #20
Tourist

Need tripod and head for Canon 20D & DVC30

Can anyone please give me some advice on what kind of setup I would need for my digital camera (Canon 20D) and soon to be purchased Panasonic DVC30? I definitely do not have enough money to purchase two different setups. I need head and plate system that works for both. I plan on shooting alot of bald eagles this winter just to give you an idea of what I will be doing. My price range is about $300-400. Thanks.
Paul Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Tripod recomendations

Hi all!

I do mainly weddings but also produce a weekly cable show from my church and am looking toward a better tripod. Mine is good but I would like to get a "real" fluid head and one with an adjustable plate so I can ballance my camcorder.

I have the Pana DVC30.

I have looked through B&H on line but for me ther are too many varibles for heads and legs. Can someone suggest a nice combo?? I would rather have legs that are conencted to each other.
Thanks,

Jeff
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM   #22
Major Player

Can't go wrong with a Bogen 503 head and some good sticks with a spreader:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM   #23
Trustee

Hi Jeffery,

This is a huge question. There are quite a few threads already going on this but it really depends on your budget.

What type of tripod do you use now? I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my tripod system. I currently use a Cartoni ActionPro DV which does a very good job but I'm using it with a Canon XH A1. The tripod has a load capacity of just over 6lbs so when I load up my camera it is a little heavy for it.

I'm looking at a Sachtler system now but they are much more expensive. Your camera is pretty light so your choices are going to be a little more limited in the higher end tirpod range.

I was just getting ready to list my Cartoni on Ebay but if you think you might be interested I'd be willing to sell it directly to you. Let me knwo if you might be interesed.

I think the levels of different price ranges are (from lowest cost):

Bogen/Manfrotto 503
Libec
Miller DS10 or Cartoni
Vinten Vision 3 or Sachtler FSB6 or DV6

Things I would look for in a tripod sysetm, half ball mounting (bowl mounting) of the tripod head, mid level spreader, padded carrying case, fluid head, and make sure the tripod head can be balanced for the weight of your camera set up.

Good luck,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
Can't go wrong with a Bogen 503 head and some good sticks with a spreader:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_Legs.html

Certainly no offense meant Rick. But my take on the new HDV from Bogen would not be a positive one. I run a Z1 and V1 on it and I dislike that head very much. The action on my old 503 is much much better. I think Bogen blew it when they made the 503hdv for smaller cameras, even though both the Z1 and V1 fit within the weight recommendations according to the poorly written manual. These are my opinions on the HDV 503. I have had a nightmarish experince with that head. I dont' go out of my way to talk negative, but I would use caution with the new 503 HDV.
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
I dont' go out of my way to talk negative, but I would use caution with the new 503 HDV.
Ah... I use the older 503 also. Wasn't aware they screwed with the newer one so much.

Par for the course though... It wasn't broke so we fixed it. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele View Post
Ah... I use the older 503 also. Wasn't aware they screwed with the newer one so much.

Par for the course though... It wasn't broke so we fixed it. :)

Yeah Rick, it's bad. I have yet to get (according to the instructions) the head/camera not to drop forward when I release the handles. I can tighten the drag all the way and get that to work, but not according to the instructions. I'll get off my soap box now.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. Don't remember right off hand what mine is. It supports it ok, but is not real smooth on movements.

I'll look into the 503 and see....

Jeff
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:55 AM   #28
Trustee

You might also want to look at a Libec LS38. Many people find are very happy with this setup and it's in the same pricerange as the Bogen. You might also look into getting a used set. You can often find some really good deals if you can be patient and wait for one to come up. For the same price as the 503 or LS38 new you could find something a little higher end used.

I'd recommend getting the best tripod you can reasonably afford. Going through my current tripod search has been a really big eye opener to the different levels and limitations of the various tripods.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads