DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod for craning (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/41950-tripod-craning.html)

Nevin Aragam March 28th, 2005 11:44 AM

Tripod for craning

It's that simple. I am looking for a tripod which can provide simple craning of at least a foot.

I have a consumer Sony tripod which does this, and it's a great effect, except for the bloody shaking (but the tripod is a runt to begin with.)

I need something which can support at least 6 pounds and not bounce around while craning. I'm looking for something that will offer the most bang for my buck while staying in a entry level professional price range.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nevin

David A. Smith March 28th, 2005 08:12 PM

I'm not really sure what you mean by craning.... can you explain?

Nevin Aragam March 28th, 2005 08:23 PM

Crane... Crane up crane down... moving a camera up and down. vertical movement of the camera.
Craning... tuchee?
Thanks,
nevin

David Yuen March 28th, 2005 11:05 PM

Only 6 pounds?

Your crane will weigh a lot more than 6 pounds, especially with the counterweight.

Bob Jones of Skycrane recommends the Bogen 3051 tripod for his Skycrane, Jr. units. Dan Selakovich's book gives you instructions on how to modify a heavy-duty surveyor's tripod for under $100.

What crane do you have?

Richard Lewis March 29th, 2005 03:51 AM

I think he means the movable vertical column on some tripods that allows you to raise and lower the camera height, rather than an actual crane?

Jimmy McKenzie March 29th, 2005 06:11 AM

I think the term we're looking at here is referred to as "pedestal". I use this quite a bit when there is not room or time to rig a crane. The Bogen/Manfrotto have nice medium priced rigs that allow for about 18" of travel down the centre column. My sticks are 028 Manfrotto.

Nevin Aragam March 29th, 2005 07:37 AM

Wow...
Ok. That got way to confussing way too quick.

I was naming the motion not the product... guess thats where the confussion arose? I dont need a crane to "crane" the camera, from my experience: "Crane" is the vertical motion of a camera. Sorry for the confussion.

Yes, Mr. Lewis i am talking about the vertical column: "the movable vertical column on some tripods that allows you to raise and lower the camera height."

That is what i am interested in. If there's confussion about what the actual motion is called, just forget about it.

Jimmy i've looked into the "Bogen/ manfrotto", and i love the name, but what exactly are they? Special kinds of tripods? Why the special name?

Hope this clears up some stuff.
Thanks,
Nevin

Jimmy McKenzie March 29th, 2005 07:43 AM

Hi Nevin,
You do have a refreshing way of using the language. That's a compliment.

Try here: http://www.manfrotto.com/product/ite...1&sectionid=78

These tripods are sold in kits or you can pick 'em up by mix and match.

Dan Selakovich March 29th, 2005 09:25 AM

I've never seen a center post of a tripod that was meant to be used while tape/film is rolling. Have I missed something? The "tripods" used for TV pedestal up and down by a huge center column, but somehow I don't think this massive monster is what Nevin wants!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com

David Yuen March 29th, 2005 10:02 AM

Camriser

Here is vertical movement.

Nevin Aragam March 29th, 2005 11:24 AM

David: That riser looks awesome. Unfortunately i need something more travel friendly. I cant strap that to a backpack or use it very effectively in my line of work.

Dan: Maybe the center posts werent made for use during film but i work with what i have and it works for me. I'm just intrested in a tripod which is more stable than the cheap sony one i have now but not huge and cumbersome for location shoots.

Thanks,
Nevin

Richard Lewis March 29th, 2005 12:19 PM

Mr Aragam

Nevin Aragam March 29th, 2005 01:36 PM

Haha,
Sorry. I'm in school, most of the time I have to call people by their last names, some times i dont. Force of habbit. Sorry Richard.

Jimmy McKenzie March 29th, 2005 02:54 PM

It is rather unconventional to attempt this kind of shot, but in the hands of a very steady operator it does have it's uses. The slow cranking down is almost always sped up in post so you get some neat stuff. Stop motion effect with a slow downward crawl. Spooky!

Dan Selakovich March 30th, 2005 09:09 AM

Nevin,

Is there a particular shot you are trying to do? Maybe we forum yokels can help.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com