i know nothing about tripods is this a good deal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old October 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM   #1
Major Player

i know nothing about tripods is this a good deal?

Manfrotto Video Tripod & Dolly

- 055 legs
- 501 head
- 181 auto folding dolly

all in excellent condition!

AU$650 NO GST.

i think that is evident, i looked them up on the site, but really i have no idea. It is for most likely a xl1s...

kermie

btw $650 AUD is around $350 USD
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 09:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

I think the legs are a little light for the XL-1 (I have those legs), but the rest is ok. The legs work ok, but sturdier legs would be nice. I think you should also look at getting a 438 compact levelling head (Bogen 3502). Best $80 USD I spent. You can look at it at this URL:

http://www.manfrotto.com/products/me...ontatore=primo

I am using the 503 head, which is more expensive than the 501. I have no complaints.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

thanx for the quick reply.

I have never researched tripods ever, so this is all new to me.

I only metions that setup as i saw it used for sale and i thought that may be cheap.

I have no problem seeking out used equipment, could you nathan or anyone suggest a nice rig, i know it has been covered, but maybe some older stuff, i have seen some (i think nice) very heavy older legs for sale, used quite cheap.

I explore around the forums, but if people want to reply with complete specs of a setup (either components together to make a whole, or pre-done setups) would be very much appreciated.

Remember i am in australia, so no bogen (lol that is a slang word for umm white trash here) manfrotto specs or other brands that are world wide.

thanx :)
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #4
Wrangler

You might try Libec

I think you are in Miller land and they are highly regarded. Anyway, the 438 is a Manfrotto number. Bogen are the USA numbers for Manfrotto gear.

Another option, which I do not know if its available in Austrailia are the Libecs. The M20 is popular for GLs, VX2K, etc sized cams. The LS35 is made for heavier cams like the XL-1. The URL for the Libec appears below:

http://www.zotzdigital.com/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=109&category_id=e85ae6b4d64ca52766afa4b87ff0212d

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2002, 07:02 PM   #5
Warden

The 501 would not be my first choice for a head unless your ona really tight budget. It's difficult to get smooth pans out of them when you put a camera like the XL1 on it.

Let me know the budget range your in and I can suggest some different model.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads