DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   not happy with 3011bn/501 manfrotto... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/42617-not-happy-3011bn-501-manfrotto.html)

Jeremy Rank April 8th, 2005 12:45 AM

not happy with 3011bn/501 manfrotto...

I got my 3011bn legs and 501 head in today. After I got it all put together, I was kinda disappointed at how flimsy the setup is. The fluid head is REALLY nice, but some features were sure left out of the design.

1) without a leg to center post support, the tripod seems a little wobbly.

2) the head doesn't pivot on one side to do dutches on the tripod.

3) the legs aren't very 'hearty'

4) the legs have to be extended and ajusted seperately and the leg locks at the top don't seem very sturdy.

5) there is no telescoping screw on the center post...only a set screw.

I was really hoping for more out of a $245 system...was I wrong? FWIW, my SunPak 7500 has all these features (except a removable floating head) and punishes the manfrotto in the stability arena...and it cost under $100

Matt Gettemeier April 8th, 2005 07:19 AM

Well this should spark a fun debate...

I own a crap-load of Manfrotto stuff and I love all of it, but I never considered buying their very entry-level legs. I always thought those looked spindley and I think they're intended for consumer still cameras and tiny camcorders. That has to look odd having a 501 on top of those legs. Anytime somebody asks me for a cheap tripod suggestion I usually start my recommendation at the 3021pro legs... and then see how much they can spend from there.

I've got a buddy that bought a really beefy looking pod off the net and it does seem to be stable enough right now... but we both noticed that every bit on a Manfrotto pod that's cast aluminum is plastic on this cheaper pod.

I've heard people mention the Sunpak 7500 before... maybe that particular model is a good value in their line. A lot of their other stuff didn't seem so solid when I checked it out. With all the metal construction and the precision of the anodized tubing... I think Manfrotto makes some of the best legs out there... but I think you were at least $50 low in your leg choice.

(But of course I realize your point in saying that the Sunpak was more solid... I'm just guessing that the Sunpak had inferior construction in other areas... plastic etc.)

Don Bloom April 8th, 2005 08:01 AM

The 3011 legs aren't really made for any kind of video cam except perhaps a small palmcorder type. It's really more of a still photogs tripod. IIRC, the center column isn't geared and the legs ARE very flismy so as soon as you start to do any kind of movement, tilt or pan, the tripod flexes.

Don't know what type of camera or work you're doing and they are a bit more expensive AND heavy to carry but I have 3 sets of 3246 legs from Monfratto and I love 'em. They carry my 150s AND a JVC5000 with full gear on it effortlessly. I use 2 503 heads and a 516 for the full sized camera and the legs never move no matter what. PLUS they will go up to a height of 8 feet when fully opened.

I agree with Matt-the starting point are the 3021 legs.

Don B

Tom DelRosario April 11th, 2005 06:12 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Bloom :

I agree with Matt-the starting point are the 3021 legs.

Don B -->>>

According to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36697&highlight=3021, the differences between the 3021 and the 3011 have nothing to do with the size of the legs. IOW, the legs on the 3011 are identical to the legs on the 3021, with the exception of different leg locks.

Don Bloom April 11th, 2005 07:06 PM

Hmmmm, I thought the legs were a bit beefier. Oh well, thats what I get for thinkin' ;-)

Don

Matt Gettemeier April 11th, 2005 07:23 PM

Hmm... it looks like your right. The 3011 is rated for the same weight and the two pods are only about a half-pound difference in mass. Well I had a 3021pro for 10 years and it always seemed pretty solid. I wonder if this guy is extending the center post... which will result in extra wobbly performance on any pod?

Either that or I'll withdraw my earlier comment to spend an extra $50 and make it "spend an extra $100".

I'm firmly in the camp which believes that you almost CAN'T spend too much on a pod... triple your budget and the legs only get better and more solid.