DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Heavier Tripod with Lighter Cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/43322-heavier-tripod-lighter-cam.html)

Sotiris Damatopoulos April 21st, 2005 01:33 AM

Heavier Tripod with Lighter Cam?

Hi there...
My DVX100AE is on its way, but I'm afraid, for the time being, I've exhausted all of my budget buying the camcorder, extra batteries, a good shotgun, etc.
Not a tripod, though.
Since it will take me a while to buy that Sachtler DVII/2 system I'd like to have,
I am thinking of exploiting many friends' systems, which they kindly offer to lend me.
Now, for better or for worse, all of them use heavier grade, ENG type tripods, with their DVCPro or even BetacamSP cameras. We're talking fluid head Sachtlers, Vinten, and the likes, built to carry heavy cameras -and here's where I'd like to have an educated opinion or two:
What are the drawbacks in using such a system with my poor DVX100, apart from having to carry a much heavier package, of course, which my back will figure that by itself very soon?
Would the lighter payload cripple in some way the head's functionality?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom...

-s.

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 21st, 2005 02:18 AM

You shouldn't have a problem - and all your shots at the long end of the zoom are going to be so much smoother...

Robin

Matt Gettemeier April 21st, 2005 06:38 AM

I don't think you're going to get any sympathy on that one... most of us, including me... would be jealous of your tripod options. I'm of the belief that there's no such thing as a tripod that's too heavy... [or too high-end].

Play around with one of those pods with NOTHING mounted... they're smooth as hell... crazy good stuff.

Sotiris Damatopoulos April 21st, 2005 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Gettemeier
I don't think you're going to get any sympathy on that one... most of us, including me... would be jealous of your tripod options. I'm of the belief that there's no such thing as a tripod that's too heavy... [or too high-end].

LOL... I'll have to ask my back about that, after a few sessions... :)
Thanks, guys, for the replies. All too valuable, as always.

Matthew Wilson April 21st, 2005 06:53 AM

Actually, depending upon the head you use, you may have to deal with a minimum counterbalance on the head that is too much for the light camera. I've got a little of that with an XL2 on a Vinten 10. With the XL2 as it comes, it's a little too light for the lowest CB setting. It works fine when I've got the heavier VF and AB battery on it, but those add about 3 to 4 pounds to it. You can always add a little counterweight on the tripod handle. I've used the little velcro ankle weights they sell at sporting goods shops. Very handly little items.

regards,
Matt