DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Leg Locks: Flip vs. Torque (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/44794-leg-locks-flip-vs-torque.html)

Julia Hangs May 18th, 2005 08:43 AM

Leg Locks: Flip vs. Torque

I am looking for a new tripod for my GL2. It seems to me that legs with flip locks would be easier to set up, but I've never had a tripod with screw type tighteners. I went into the local camera store to look at a few and the guy working there was quite dismissive of flip locks and said they break easily. Are torque locks in fact more durable? Do they have other advantages?

Meryem Ersoz May 18th, 2005 09:13 AM

i've never had a flip lock break, even on cheapie lightweight tripods. flip v screw sounds like one of those mac/pc debates which doesn't really amount to much except to the individual user.

i like flip locks because i feel more comfortable adjusting them while the camera is mounted. for mobile outdoor shooting, where i may be adjusting my tripod on an uneven surface, like a rock, i would be hampered by the screw type. if your work is more geared toward the stable, indoor studio variety, screw-types might make more sense.

Rob Jacobs May 18th, 2005 09:38 AM

I agree, I mostly shoot outdoors and flip locks are all I trust. I haven't actually used the screw tighten legs in action. With the flip locks you don't even need to look at what you're doing, important if you're setting up on wildlife. I also use a mid-level spreader. This way makes it fast and easy to deploy a tripod.

Richard Entwistle May 21st, 2005 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Jacobs
... ... With the flip locks you don't even need to look at what you're doing, important if you're setting up on wildlife. ...

Right on. Operating the tripod legs without having to look is exactly what I value most in outdoor tripod work. Still waiting on Miller to add a flip-lock system to their Solo series! Great lightweight tripod, but no way will I fiddle with screwed locks. You never quite know when to stop turning.

Robert J. Wolff May 22nd, 2005 09:19 AM

Leg Locks

Julia.

You don''t mention what type of shooting you are going to do. Therefore, I can only advise via my own shooting needs.

I use a one piece TP (Manfrotto) mostly out doors. Prior to acquiring this excellent piece of equipment, I used both of the types you are considering, for many years.

Bluntly: Go for the locks.

The screw type will jam up in muddy, sandy, sloppy conditions.

Not that the lock type won't. Quite the contrary. They too will jam; but, you can wipe the legs down, returning the TP to usability rather quickly.

Think about a screw threaded TP, where it locks in the fully opened position. You can't clean it, untill you open the lock. Not very handy if your on the move, and there are no pliers handy.

(On the other hand, I personally have found both styles wanting, when it comes to my wild life shooting. I use a multi stage TP with a center spreader, that opens quite high, and, will go as low as 28 inches (center axis of lens) with My XL - 1s. In the last 2 & a half years , I have had only one jam. (Of course, that one may have been due to my inadvertantly taking a bath in a mountain marsh: Camera, TP, and me!))

John Uchida May 24th, 2005 09:58 PM

I had a sub $100 head and tripod Cullman and one of the flip locks broke off which made the tripod unusable. I would expect that more expensive tripods would have higher quality flip locks.