Cartoni ActionPro System at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 27th, 2002, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Cartoni ActionPro System

Anyone own this tripod? I am thinking about buying one this weekend.

I use it in a heavy configuration, b&w veiwfinder, Matte Box /Rods , Large Lenses.

I need a nice tripod that can take the weight , nice and fluid pans and tilts. I won't be using this tripod for quick on the run setups, but light and portable is always nice.

Any suggestions?
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2002, 05:04 PM   #2
Warden

Hi,

It's not one of the favorites here, but not because they aren't good tripods. Rather, they have few dealers. Even in some larger metropolitan areas you won't find a Cartoni dealer. Search didn't turn up much http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=Cartoni The favorites here are Sachtler, Miller and vinten on the high end. Bogen is the middle ground and Libec is the intro favorite.

I think Ken Tanaka posted recently that Miller dropped prices recently and has a model starting around $850. That would be a steal. My personal favorites are Sachtlers and Vintens. I've owned both and neither has let me down. Perfect pans and tilts every time. They don't get any better in my opinion.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2002, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player

I live in New York and i am near B&H photo (which contrary to popular belief, doesn't carry everything).

Of course I'm checking out physical product, but there is still lots of room for recommendation.
Old October 27th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #4
Wrangler

Cartoni makes a nice product. I'm not familiar with that particular model but they make impressive heads for the high end market. I am an O'Connor user and would give them a slight nod over Sachtler and Vinten as Jeff recommended, but any of the four will deliver solid results. The bottom line is which you feel the most comfortable with on an ergonomic level, and how much you have to spend (my recommendation here in the past has been to get the best head you can possibly afford, because it will likely serve you for years to come, supporting generations of cameras).
Old October 27th, 2002, 10:52 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jeep,
I own a Miller DS-10 and like it very much. However, if I routinely mounted the load that you listed I would have leaned more toward the Sachtler or Vinten rigs. (O'Connor would be excellent but, oh-my-gosh, you'd have to bill-out some hefty fees to pay for that rig!) Sachtler and Vinten are, in my opinion, better able to handle the eccentric centers of gravity produced by such FrankenCam rigs.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm using the Action Pro model with an XL1. It does a decent job, though I wonder if you might not be pushing the weight limit of that head with your matte box, etc.

The sticks are extremely lightweight and easy to set up. The head is quite fluid and easy to level.

The Action Pro isn't nearly as nice as my high end Cartoni, but it cost about a quarter as much as that heavy duty model.

Overall, I'd say the Action Pro is a very nice system for the money.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2002, 01:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Well now it looks like I am going to spring for $1300 for a tripod,

after checking the store, I fell in love with the 510 Manfrotto head which is about 850$ and i like the 540ART sticks which runs about $400!

That's a big difference in price. :(
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I own the Cartoni ActionPro which I find very nice. Here in London they are quite easy to find, though I bought mine from a dealer where I used to work :-)

I looked at the Manfrotto range, Miller, Sachtler, Libec and for the price found the Cartoni the best of the bunch.

I really like how it's quick and easy to set up, no rotating locking nuts, just a strong clip type thingy.
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Cartoni

I have used the bigger Cartoni heads for Betacams , and used a Cartoni dutch head for a shoot once...the quality is outstanding, but they are hard to find and very expensive. Worth looking at.....Vintens are my over all Fave, but all the products mentioned are fine.
Old January 24th, 2003, 03:29 AM   #10
Wrangler

I had an ActionPro for a while, which I bought because as an AC I was familiar with Cartoni as being right up there with Sachtler, OConnor, etc...

But the ActionPro sadly was not up to their standards.

I recently got a Bogen 510 head, which despite my general disdain for Bogen, performs as well as most heads twice its price.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads