Tripod advice, LS-38M + 501PL quick release? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod advice, LS-38M + 501PL quick release?

I'm looking for a little help or advice for an upcoming purchase for our small wedding videography business.

We're planning on purchasing a Panasonic HMC150 and teaming that with a Manfrotto 561BHDV monopod for reception coverage. I have also been considering the Manfrotto 530HDV head and 351MVB2K tripod, mainly because I could quickly switch from the monopod to the tripod with the 501PL quick release plate.

Soooo...on to my questions. I've read a lot of great reviews for the Libec LS-38M tripod and H38 head. Does anyone know if the Manfrotto's quick release plate fits the Libec? Also, if you had a choice between the two, which one would you pick?

Thanks for your help!
Rob Patin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

This should work fine. I have a Manfrotto monopod (557B) and a Libec LS-37 (the older version of the LS-38) with Manfrotto quick release/slide plates on both for the sorts of reasons you state (for in my case an EX3).

Now the H37 head on my LS-37 does not have a (Libec) quick release plate part (they introduced that with the LS-38 & it's H38 head, along with 2 stage legs, not one - for shorter packing/lower positioning advantages) but there is no reason why it won't attach and work.

Only thing is that you'll have to ensure you detach the upper Manfrotto plate (and not the lower Libec one that it will be attached to, of course).

On a more general note, I personally rate Libec tripods well over Manfrotto for price/performance ratio and excellent aftersales/parts service (if you ever need it) - but that's just my opinion/experience.
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
Trustee

Just for info, the one I used was an MN 357, with the 501P-Long sliding plate. It may or may not work with the smaller 501 plate.
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys. I didn't know if I would need the adapter or if the Libec quick release plate would fit the Manfrotto head. Now, it's obvious that I will need the adapter.

Just out of curiosity, does the adapter fit tightly or have you ever been concerned about it coming apart with the weight and movement of the camera? I'm assuming this is all dependent on how tightly I've screwed the adapter to the Libec plate.

Thanks again for your help!
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Trustee

Rob,

I use a MN357 with my Sachtler to correct a COG problem I have with my Sony V1. It was easier to buy here than the Sachtler COG plate, and provides more adjustment.

I find it very solid indeed. The whole thing is made from metal.

The 501PL adapter plate is screwed to the bottom of the camera and won't budge once it's on. When the camera + plate are on the adapter, it can't fall off, there's a safety catch. There's a knob that lets you tighten the mount to make it solid. I find it easy to mount and unmount the camera to the plate.
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike for the detailed additional info to help Rob.

Rob, the LS-37 and Manfrotto plate I have were actually bought from Mike secondhand (in perfect condition I might add) via DVinfo's Private Classifieds about a year ago... so now you have all the info you should need.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot for your help, guys! Your expertise is invaluable!
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I know this thread is old but if I understand it right I can buy a Manfrotto 501PL Sliding Quick Release Plate and that will work with my Libec H38 head right?

Thank's
Chet
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi Chad,

You need to buy the mounting unit as well. The 501PL will not (as far as I am aware) directly fit the Libec head.

You need the base unit part of the 357, you screw the H38 plate to that, then mount it on the tripod. The 501PL plate on the camera can then mount on that, or any other Manfrotto base that will take it.

If you buy the MN357, you get 1x plate and 1x base unit.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank's Mike for the Reply. All I'm looking for is another quick release shoe for my Libec H38 head I'm baffled that I can't find one anywhere.

Thank'
Chad Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Libec Contact Information

There is some contact information (albeit Europe) and information on all spare parts for Libec tripods in this thread. Maybe shoot them an e-mail (if there is one in there) and I'm sure they'll try and help you out/put you in touch with your local supplier. Worth a try!

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...e-comment.html

Hope this helps!
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I heard back from Libec and they want 45.00 for a extra quick release plate I'm wondering if I should just go the MN357 route and get a few extra plates for that since they are allot cheaper.
Chad Solo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads