quick release recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

quick release recommendation

Hi,

I have a Matthews M25 and have just got my hands on a glidecam.

I need a decent quick release plate that I can put on my glidecam and also onto my M25.

Can anyone recommend a solution. Is Manfrotto the best option? I am mounting an XH-A1.

Thanks for any pointers.

Paul
Paul Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Bogen (Manfrotto) QR577 should solve the problem.
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Manfrotto 357 is even better. The same base, but with a bigger plate. And (important) cheaper too.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

I ordered a 577 this morning before I saw the second post - aaargh.

Cest la vie :)

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

557 is ok, but i just like the bigger plate from the 357.
Here's a side-by-side picture, 557 on the right, 357 in the middle and a india-replica on the left (looks the same, but with a cheap plastic lever and is NOT interchangeble with the manfrotto).
Attached Thumbnails
quick release recommendation-557.jpg  
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Trustee

You can get a long plate with gradations marked for the 577 (though it does cost more money):
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 501PLONG Quick Release | 501PLONG

(The 357 is a bit wider)

Also, the 577 plates fit Gitzo video heads (all three) and vice versa, incase you happen to use a Gitzo head, possibly this one:
Gitzo | G1380 Video Fluid Head (75mm Ball Base) | G1380 | B&H
Or this one:
Gitzo | G2180 Series 1 Fluid Head | G2180 | B&H Photo Video
Or even this one:
Gitzo | G2380 Video Fluid Head | G2380 | B&H Photo Video

So, this long plate with gradations will also fit the 577, and it is $15 cheaper than the virtually identical Gitzo version:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ase_Plate.html
(Usually the Gitzo branded parts are more expensive than the Bogen, but in this case it's the other way around.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Resurrecting this thread for a quick question:

I just received my Manfrotto 577 quick release adapter, and want to use it to mount a Canon 5D Mark II to a Steadicam Pilot cheese plate. Unfortunately, the lever/knob for tightening the plate will not function in the limited space bewteen the camera and the cheese plate. The knob I'm referring to is labeled R357.25 in the attached jpg. If there were an extended knob - which would locate the paddle/lever about an inch further from the plate, I could use the unit as I had hoped. Anyone heard of such a thing, or have any other ideas?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
quick release recommendation-577_20030506.jpg  
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Perhaps a big box home improvement store OR a decently stocked hobby store that has parts for gas powered model planes or cars and you would be able to find a piece of aluminum tubing the same size of the sleeve of the thumb knob, then just find a longer screw to fit. Doesn't have to be an allen head, could be a small phillips or even slot type but I would prefer a phillips.
Just a thought off the top of my head.
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #9
New Boot

Erik,

I have a collection of the 357 plates (same clamp as the 577) that I use with a variety of cameras on Steadicam rigs and tripods, so I regularly encounter the issue you're describing. The plastic handle is spring loaded and can be pulled back and re-seated to allow 90 to180 degrees of rotation underneath the camera base (or over the Pilot plate) enabling the Bogen plate to slide at one of the rotation and to be clamped at the other end. It may take some trial and error to find the "sweet spot", but I've been able to make this work with all camera set ups (including the 7D on the Pilot rig). With some configurations the clamp is a bit snug as I push the mounted camera into the quick release and the camera base actually pushes the knob forward as it slides in. Another quarter turn and the plate is firmly locked. A photo would probably help make this clearer than this labored description. I currently have a riser block on my Pilot (which has relieved mechanical mounting congestion) but still grapple with this situation when switching the 7D to the tripod.
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

From the post, it appears that the base of the 357 and 577 are the same exact thing? If so, that's good news for me as I am looking for a 577 compatible.
Aaron Leung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads