DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Libec or Vinten for EX1R?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/469212-libec-vinten-ex1r.html)

Giannis Pass December 9th, 2009 10:38 PM

Libec or Vinten for EX1R??

Hello,
i am a wedding videographer from Athens, Greece and i am looking to have a good tripod for my EX1R.
I am between the Vinten PRO6HDV and Libec LS-38(2A).
What is your opinion?

Garrett Low December 10th, 2009 12:40 AM

Hello Giannis, I'm sure you're not going to like this answer very much but to be honest I'd say neither. If you were willing to spend the money on the EX1R you should really be considering a better tripod. The PRO6HDV is really just a re-branded Bogen. Out of the two the Libec is a better tripod in my opinion but if I were in your situation I would consider a Sachtler FSB 6 or a Vinten Vision 3. I've got my EX3 on a Sachtler DV6SB and as far as the head goes I couldn't be happier.

Like so many other I went through the pain of trying to find an "affordable" tirpod and ended up going through three in a year. Of course I was sure that I would find the diamond in the rough but as I found out, there is a reason why a good tripod costs so much. Remember, your tripod will outlast your camera. before having the EX on my DV6SB I had a Canon XL H1a on it and before that I had an XH A1 on it.

Garrett

Paul Kellett December 10th, 2009 03:35 AM

I've got a Vinten Vision 3as head under my EX1, the head is awsome, the difference between the vinten and my old manfrotto is huge.
As standard the spring in the Vinten Vision 3as is slightly too hard for the EX1, i couldn't get the perfect balance, however i spoke to someone at Vinten (Peter Harman), he was very upset that the EX1 wouldn't balance properly on the 3as head,as a reult he came to my house with a few different springs and changed the original spring for a lighter spring, result>perfect balance. I'm now very happy with the head.
Now, Peter took some notes when the changed the spring so maybe all new vision 3as's come with the new spring, i can tell you that for an EX1 an orange spring is needed, if you order a Vision 3as then you should be able to order it with an orange spring.

Paul.

Eugene J. Kulak December 10th, 2009 07:20 AM

Hey Giannis, I have using the Libec LS-38 for about four months now with an EX-1 and PD-170. For the money it is an excellent, buttery smooth mount with rock solid legs. Libec has not tried to put too many features into this tripod system and concentrated on the basics, and their presets are good. It is highly unlikely you would be dissatisfied with it. I also purchased the LIPH7 adjustable handle so as to add some versatility to it.

Zach Love January 4th, 2010 11:39 PM

I'm using an old Gitzo w/ a Manfrotto 503 Head for my Sony Z7U (around the same size / weight as the EX1R).

I love the sticks & live with the head. I'm wanting to move up to a Sachtler, but waiting on the cash to justify it. There is a reason why you see so many Sachtlers out there, and the reason is b/c they're worth the money.

I haven't used any Libecs, but they all look really cheap to me. I have used some Vintens & have good memories of them, but I was using much more expensive heads than what you're looking at.

If you're set on the two, I would go for the Vinten. But I would suggest looking to see if you can get any used Sachtlers. Or get some used Gitzo legs, Gitzo leveling base & a new head (503HDV or similar).

A high quality tripod is going to last at least a decade longer than your camera, so invest in a good one, or pick up some used gear that has a lot of life left. The EX1R is a good camera, but if you put it on cheap legs you're not going to get good steady & smooth shots.