DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   If budget allows only up to $1500, what sticks/head combo to buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/470542-if-budget-allows-only-up-1500-what-sticks-head-combo-buy.html)

Reed Gidez January 6th, 2010 01:11 PM

If budget allows only up to $1500, what sticks/head combo to buy?

I'm looking for a new set of sticks and head for my Z5u and can only afford around $1,500 with maybe a little wiggle room upwards. What are you using and what are you happy or unhappy about what you are using?

Thanks!

Reed

Ned Soltz January 6th, 2010 01:29 PM

Hmmm, Oradell,,, Hi neighbor

I'm a Sachtler person myself. FSB-6 is an excellent instrument. The Miller DS10 is also a nice choice for your camera.

Ned Soltz

Les Nagy January 6th, 2010 01:49 PM

Sachtler | 0475 FSB-6 Carbon-Fiber Tripod System | 0475 | B&H

Pay the little extra for the above and you will have no regrets.

Miller DS10 and DS20.... IMHO nooooo way.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-st...0-solo-cf.html

Reed Gidez January 6th, 2010 01:56 PM

Ned and Les, thanks for the suggestions.

Les, I read the thread regarding the DS-20 and had my eyes opened a little wide. I had hoped to get to B&H over the holidays to try out some options but last couple of times I was there, the tripods had been moved over to the corner by the main entrance, presumably to accommodate the new construction so there wasn't much to play with.

Hopefully they've got things put back together and I can try out a few heads.

Ned, I was just over by you last night at FDU.

Thanks!

P.E. Kelley January 6th, 2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned Soltz (Post 1468747)
Hmmm, Oradell,,, Hi neighbor

I'm a Sachtler person myself. FSB-6 is an excellent instrument. The Miller DS10 is also a nice choice for your camera.

Ned Soltz

Count me among the "Sachtler People" I just upgraded to the FSB6 and CF75 combo from a Libec H38 and could not be happier! Truly smooth,fluid and stable, allowing tremendous control!

Patrick

Jim Martin January 7th, 2010 06:09 PM

Make sure you get the FSB 6 T/ 2D..set up. The "T" indicates the touch & go style top....it pops up and out when you pull the camera off the tripod. When you return it, it snaps back in. As for the sticks, I don't think you need to go with the more expensive CF...usually, one gets CF legs on the heavier Video 18, 20 or higher priced heads so you can have strength without the weight. The 2D sticks are 2-stage which is the way most everyone here in Hollywood expect.....they can go much lower than single stage.

All said, the Sachtler heads are in my opinion, the best...

Jim Martin
Filmtools

Richard D. George January 8th, 2010 09:20 PM

Sachtler FSB-6 is a great choice. I would argue that the Touch and Go is not the best choice. Search these forums and see the arguments. The side loading works very well. I would also argue for CF legs. If you find you want aluminum legs, I could make you a sweet-heart deal.

Dale Guthormsen January 15th, 2010 08:52 PM

Good evening,

Do some research on the gitzo 1380. You would not be wasting your time.

Gitzo | G1380 Video Fluid Head (75mm Ball Base) | G1380 | B&H

Manfrotto | 525MVB Professional Video Tripod Legs | 525MVB | B&H

this combo fits your budget almost exactly; of course you could put gitzo legs on the head as well.

I use thes 525's with my vinten vision 6 head and it works great, so it should be great with the 1380.

In some ways the gitzo head is easier to use than the vinten.

Reed Gidez January 18th, 2010 08:32 AM

Thanks for the advice

I ended up with the Sachtler FSB-6 CF combo and I am quite pleased. I've had a Sachtler DV2 II for a couple of years and was fairly pleased with it. The FSB is much better. I also prefer the side load over the "T" version which I believe the DV2 has.

Thanks everyone for your input! BTW, I ordered the B&H Combo Les suggested.

Reed

Les Nagy January 21st, 2010 12:24 AM

Good to hear you are happy. You should get years of good use!

Nathanael Iversen February 14th, 2010 12:30 AM

Another Sachtler voice here. FS6 with the side-load plate and 75 series legs.