Gitzo G2380, Feisol ct3401 and a centre column.. why dont they fit!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Gitzo G2380, Feisol ct3401 and a centre column.. why dont they fit!?

Hi,

so ive been using the above head and legs for a while. The round kind of protruding disc at the base of the head, went into the round open area at the top of the legs and screwed in at 3 points around with simple small screws (that incidentally constantly needed to be tightened, this is the 1st reasonably good tripod i have owned so i dont know if this is a normal way for legs and head to attach??)

The legs came without optional centre column that i decided to buy recently for some extra height and an easier way of adjusting height.

The column has a round disc at the top with a male screw sticking out that can be reversed to be either 3/8" or 1/4", but neither fit the female hole at the bottom of the gitzo head, which is smaller than the 1/4" screw..

Any documentation about the Gitzo 2380 i can find lists it as having a 3/8" fitting! I dont understand.. I thought any reasonably recent legs and heads from big companies would have standard sized fittings..

Maybe i'm being stupid but i dont see any way that these two can fit together without some other adaption..

If anybody could shine some light I'd appreciate it a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Gitzo G2380, Feisol ct3401 and a centre column.. why dont they fit!?-snv33220.jpg  
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Manus................

Try removing whatever is attached to the bottom of the head and see if it gives you the correct hole size.

The Feisol web site clearly shows the tripod with a flat disc in the top of the tripod with a 1/4" or 3/8" centre screw.

I'm guessing the disc needs to be removed to allow insertion of the centre column.

I'd say that disc is still firmly attached to the head and what you're seeing is the underside of it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks Chris! i think thats the most logical explanation..

its absolutely jammed tight however i cant get it to move at all.. now ive put the head in the freezer for a while(!) as i heard that might make it easier to get off..
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Major Player

hehe.. it worked!
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads