Looking for comments for the Sachtler DV-6sb at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 25th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for comments for the Sachtler DV-6sb

I have a Panasonic HPX 300 and I'm looking for a tripod head combo. I think this is a good value but I don't know:

Newegg.com - Sachtler DV-6SB Carbon Fiber Tripod System

Looking to see if anyone has any comments.

Thanks!
Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

My Thoughts

I have one that I used with my EX1 kit and absolutely loved it. The head is so smooth and it's not super-heavy. I paired the DV6SB head with the Miller Solo DV carbon-fiber legs and could not have been happier with it.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Somebody else, I can't remember, has your same set up and likes it. Thanks for responding.

Art
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Trustee

I use this very same setup with my EX3 and agree that it's a great setup. I'm slowly loading more and more on my rig so I may be having to step up soon but if I do I'll be getting another Sachtler.

When I was looking for a good support system I tried a lot, and spent a lot of money doing the "I know I'll find the one cheap tripod that's great" route. In the end I discovered that there were no free lunches and to get smooth pans you just have to be willing to spend the money. I waited and found a used setup in great condition and could sell it now for as much as I paid.

IMHO the only tripods I'd look at are the Sachtler and Vinten, unless of course you have crazy amounts of money and can afford an O'Connor.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Trustee

I use the same combo on my Sony V1 and it's just superb. Faultless. And I've been through quite a few tripods from no-names, Libecs and lower-end Vinten Protouch too (think Manfrotto, only better).

I believe that the DV6-SB has been superseded by the new FSB models. The FSB-6 would have been more than adequate for my V1E if it had been around then, but it depends on your expected maximum load. It is cheaper than the DV6 was; I think the FSB-8 is the new equivalent of the DV6-SB.

Vinten Vision 3 AS would also be well worth considering too, there's a lot of good press about them around this forum. I don't have any personal experience of those though, but there's a bloke called Chris from Down-Underer who seems to be quite a fan!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads