DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Vinten (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/478937-vinten.html)

Ollie Walton May 18th, 2010 05:48 PM

Vinten

Hi all,

where can i get 2nd hand cheap priced Vinten pro 5 or 6?

Is there a manfrotto tripod that is equivalent

Cheers Guys

Mike Beckett May 19th, 2010 02:05 AM

The Manfrotto 503HDV/525 legs kit is as close as you'll get in their range, but "equivalent" doesn't mean it comes close to Vinten quality.

The latest Pro6-HDV head does share some of the internal mechanisms with the Manfrotto, but it has a better head design, side-load plate etc. The legs on the Vinten are proper Vinten poziloc legs as well, which knock the Manfrotto 525s into a cocked hat.

If there was a direct, cheap equivalent of any Vinten tripod, then people wouldn't pay so much for Vintens!

What is your idea of "cheap", Ollie? Just to give us an idea so we can make some suggestions. (i.e. to me, £500 for a tripod is cheap. To a certain Mr Soucy from Dunedin, Down-underer, £2000 would be cheap!)

Paul R Johnson May 19th, 2010 02:51 AM

The older 501 and Pro 5 heads were identical, then latest versions have identical specs, with cosmetic differences, as detailed above. The Manfrotto's that have the double leg tubes like the 546 are pretty decent. The heavy duty 475 tubular ones are the only style of tubular one they do that I have liked. These are very heavy - go nice and high and are pretty twist proof. The handle operated centre column is also handy.

I've got all sorts of Vinten, Libec and Manfrotto products and they all have strengths and weaknesses. All I really want is light weight, solidy and strength - getting all three seems to be out of my price range.

What I have done, is keep an eye on ebay for old Vinten products. They still fetch good prices, but I've picked up some really good products. I have some brand new items, alongside some twenty years old. If they are going to be well loaded and not have to move much, then the older heavy duty ones are super. I've got a nice Vinten Vision Ped - but I don't use it that much - so few of my jobs have studio level floors!

For what it's worth - I sold my Vinten Pro-5 because despite seeming to be really popular, the head is not really that nice. I've still got 2 Manfrotto 501s but they are the same, just impossible to set tilt and drag settings that allow smooth diagonal movement. With lighter cameras, they fare better, but I just hate heads that won't stay put tilted up or down, just level.

Dale Guthormsen May 20th, 2010 06:57 PM

Good evening,

Watch ebay faithfully and vinten heads turn up, usually 8's and 11's which may be over kill.

I have a vintin vision 6, I think the gitzo 1380 is as close as you can get and it is 900 dollars cheaper, but you have to change springs. I also have the gitzo 1380 and it works great. I would highly recomend it.

I also have a set of manfrotto mvb 525 legs and I use them under both heads and they work just fine.

A bit of a hybrid set up will work great!!

I do not believe the 501 and 503 are even in the same league as the gitzo.

something to think about.

If you are using a lighter camera than 5 pounds you can get older miller heads (true fluid heads, not just named so like so many friction heads) for under 200 dollars on ebay and with the lighter cameras they are a pretty solid head. I use one of these on a sled I made for my gl2 and fx1000. In a pinch it handes both of those camers alright.

It all depends on where you are at in your game and how much resources you have to spare!

Brian Leckey July 11th, 2010 12:06 PM

Replacement legs for a Vinten 5

My Vinten 5 tripod was driven over by my cameraman in Icelend..... The head is fine but carbon sticks are shattered. Can anyone recommend some replacement carbon fiber legs that would be a decent replacement but not as $$$ as the Vinten. I tried some Secced legs but the bowl didn't fit correctly.

Any advice very welcome. Thanks.

Peter Harman July 12th, 2010 03:01 AM

Buying used Vinten kit

Hi all

Just a word of warning. Just because the seller says it’s new, doesn’t mean it is. Email me before you commit to a purchase and I will attempt to work out its age. Our policy is to support a product for 10 years after the last one has come off the line. You could be buying a perfectly good product but you may not get any spare parts for it if something subsequently fails. It will pay you to be cautious.

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten.

Peter Harman July 13th, 2010 01:31 AM

Broken Tripod

Brian, email me and lets see what we can do to help.

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten
peter.harman@vitecgroup.com