Tripod for DSLR: did you downsize? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Major Player

Tripod for DSLR: did you downsize?

I'm shooting with two systems: EX-1 on a Sachtler DV8 (100mm bowl) head and stix. Absolutely no performance or durability complaints other than it screams "look at me" because it is a substantial rig. Difficult to take it on the street without people thinking you are a film crew.

I also shoot with a 7d and currently slap it onto an old stills tripod and head combo. No leveling bowl, crappy performance for video and the stix are a little light for the rig.

I'm on the fence as to getting a separate head and stix for the DSLR. The Miller Solo legs are lot less conspicuous for shooting in public than the Sachtler legs and the Miller setup is about 4lbs lighter than the Sachtler.

So I'm just wondering how many shooters (who also have pro-video cams) went with a slightly smaller tripod when they added DSLR to their toolkit....or did you stick with your original tripod?

The basic DSLR rig (camera and lens) weighs about 4 lbs. Closer to 15 lbs with 80-200 zoom, rails, follow focus and monitor.

I'll likely buy a second tripod so I can use both cams simultaneously but need to decide whether to go a little smaller for the DSLR or get another DV8-sized rig.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and thought process!
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Good Morning Bob,

The weight of your system when all set up kind of dictates a reasonably heavy duty tripod. I still think the gitzo 1380 head with tube legs is the most under rated tripod system. Get it with the carbon legs (or buy the head and get solo legs) and you will look more "Refined" so to speak. You could also set this tripod up to use your bigger video system easily if you wanted too!!!

Of course dollars will dictate the actual direction. To be honest, I often pull my vinten vision 6 head off its legs and move it to the gitzo legs.

anyway, if you have the funds it is worth the look.
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Hey Bob, since you are in NY, if you have an opportunity to run by BH Photo, see if they have Libec's new RS350 system for product demonstration. The RS350 system would work great for both the EX1 and the DSLR w/accessories. It is not as intrusive as the bigger heads, but still works just as good as a sachtler. I think you will be suprised at the performance of the new Libec RS series. Libec-RS SERIES-What's RS

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads