Vinten 3AS or 5AS? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Tourist

Vinten 3AS or 5AS?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these boards but have found lots of helpful info! I'm looking at getting a nice fluid head and one of my options is the Vinten AS line. My dilemma is that I'm not sure if the 3AS or the 5AS is the right head for me. I'll be shooting primarily DSLRs on this rig, and I'm concerned about getting perfect balance. A stripped down DSLR is below the minimum weight of the 3AS, but with a couple accessories added it will be above that. On the other hand, throw on a few accessories (matte box, follow focus, rods, monitor, longer lens, etc) and I could quickly be beyond the maximum weight of 5kg and no longer be able to achieve perfect balance. Buuuut, there's the issue of the low center of gravity and how that affects all these numbers....

Basically the 3AS seems to have a very narrow and low weight range which i could easily exceed. But the 5AS has a higher minimum, and with the low center of gravity, i'm worried about that minimum when i don't have everything including the kitchen sink strapped to my DSLR!

So does anyone have any experience using a DSLR rig on either of these heads? Any commentary would be greatly appreciated!
Derek Naves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi, Derek........

Firstly, conratulations on your exceedingly well researched and thought out post/ question, it's not too often someone comes here having done their homework so thoroughly, let alone looking for a quality rig.

You are correct, the 3 AS has an exceedingly narrow range of weights/ COG's.

That said, I cannot (oh, bugger, I've just realised I have the new spring for the 3 AS and haven't tried it with my Canon XH A1 in "stripped to shorts" mode, must be getting senile!) er, where was I?

Ah yes, er, forget about my situation, let's look at yours.

If you buy a head that works with the basic camera but can't handle it fully configured, you're stuffed.

If you buy one that can handle your rig fully configured but not in "stripped to shorts" mode, you can always add some weight "up top" to compensate. Might take a bit of lateral thinking to come to an elegant solution, but it can be done.

Without having figures for a "bare bones" config and a "pimped to the nines" config, I'm treading on quicksand making any recommendation, but would have to say that if there is any chance you could pimp the rig to the point it will exceed the 3 AS limits, go for the 5 AS and be ready to "go lateral" with the consequences.

Hope this is of some help.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Vision AS

Derek

You are right when you say accessorising your DSLR may push you over from Vision 3AS to Vision 5AS, but a lot will depend on not only the overall weight but the resulting configurations Centre of Gravity. So, I suggest you contact our US office and ask them for a loan unit so you can try before you buy. Send me your details off line and I’ll get one of our Customer Services people to get in contact with you and make the arrangements

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten
peter.harman@vitecgroup.com
Peter Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Tourist

Wow! Thanks for the helpful replies, guys! Chris, good point about always being able to add weight if using the 5AS. Peter, thanks for the generous offer! Let me talk to my expense manager before I send over the info. Will be in contact soon.

thanks again!
Derek Naves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads