DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Ball head "converter" Sachtler heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/481720-ball-head-converter-sachtler-heads.html)

Bob Kerner July 11th, 2010 05:51 PM

Ball head "converter" Sachtler heads

Is there such a thing that will permit me to place an FSB 8 (75mm bowl) head into a 100mm bowl tripod?

I'll be damned if I can find it on the Sachtler website; clarity of describing their products is not their strong suit!

If there is such an adapter, has anyone used it and does it work properly?

Here's what I'm after: I've been shopping for a head and stix to add to my inventory for my DSLR to ride atop. I already have a DV8/100 head/legs combo I like. My initial research brought me back to a DV10 (the DV8 is discontinued) for consistency of controls, quality and bowl size, since I also have a 100mm bowl slider. But the DV10 is just a little more than I really need for DSLR (max load I'll have is about 15lbs) and at $4300 is more than I want to spend on a 2d tripod.

Hence my search brought me to the FSB8, which can handle the lighter capacity a bit better but has the same controls and quick release plates I'm used to. Problem is it's 75mm not 100 mm and I'll need some form of adapter if I want to put it into my slider or use it on my existing legs.

I'm told Manfrotto makes some bowl adapters but are they any good for this purpose; do they affect the functionality of the head?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bob

Chris Soucy July 11th, 2010 06:08 PM

Hi Bob................

Any of these should do the job.

100 mm to 75 mm adapter

Some tripod/ head combinations allow the ball base to sit either too high (and the clamp knob bolt is too short) or too low (restricts the amount of tilt adjustment). Going with the Sachtler unit should ensure no compatability problems, but the Manfrotto might just do exactly the same job for a lot less.

I'd start off cheap and work my way up if it doesn't suit.

CS

PS: Just noticed you're in NY, why not drop into B&H with the rig in question and try 'em out?

PPS: Just noticed the Manfrotto is the only one shown as in - stock. Change "try 'em out" to "try IT out".

Bob Kerner July 11th, 2010 07:11 PM

Thanks. I spotted that part on the Sachtler site but there was no description.

Peter Harman July 12th, 2010 03:04 AM

Alternatively...

You could try the Vinten 75mm to 100mm adaptor 3330-243

Peter Harman
Product Manager, Vinten

Bob Kerner July 12th, 2010 02:52 PM

Thanks to both of you.

Do these adapters work alright, without adding any clunkiness to ability to level the head?

Chris Soucy July 12th, 2010 04:10 PM

Hi...........

Peter:

Beat you to it, the Vinten was included in my original line up (tho' not in stock at B&H).

Bob:

Well, yes and no (I could stop right there and leave you wondering but, being the nice guy I am..............).

I mentioned that there can be incompatability issues, and they can be very real.

Despite the common perception, head ball and tripod bowl dimensions and contours are only nominal and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

So, whilst a Vinten adapter works superbly with a Vinten head and tripod (I know, I have a set of all the above), and Manfrotto ditto (yes, I have), swapping the two isn't quite as rosy.

Just putting a Vinten 75 mm head on a Manfrotto 75 mm tripod is a mission (sometimes) as the head clamp bolt on the Vinten is not really long enough when mated with the Manfrotto dimensions/ contours.

This leaves only about a half turn on the knob from full tight to falling off. To add to the woes the 4 lobed handle and huge clamp cup of the Vinten snags on the underside of (certain) Manfrotto tripods reducing it's ability to be levelled significantly.

[Using the 75 mm Vinten on a 100 mm Manfrotto using just about any adapter you like can be equally challenging].

If you look carefully at the Sachtler adapter set, it is interesting that it would appear to include a modified clamp knob (looks suprisingly similar to a Vinten) and some sort of clamp knob bolt extender. I can't tell if this is deliberate or an over enthusiastic photog, as there is no corresponding "What's in the box" entry for the Sachtler adapter.

Without you actually trying out the Manfrotto adapter (the only one you can before shelling out hard cash) I wouldn't say anything one way or another about it's "fitness for purpose" as it's just plain "too risky".

The only adapter I feel confident about hitting for a home run is the Sachtler, 'cos if they can't make an adapter that fits their own gear, they just ain't trying (tho', stranger things have happened).

CS

Bob Kerner July 12th, 2010 06:37 PM

Thanks for the detailed response