DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod Suggestions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/482165-tripod-suggestions.html)

Felix van Oost July 20th, 2010 12:47 PM

Tripod Suggestions

For the past year, I've been using a Manfrotto 028B tripod with a 701HDV head with little issues. However following the purchase of my new camera (an HXR-NX5), I'm looking to upgrade my setup to something which matches the camera weight better, and there's a few criteria I would like my new setup to meet.

I mainly do action sports cinematography, which often involves hiking up mountains and carrying the whole rig around all day. My current 028B tripod was designed for studio use, so it's quite heavy and a pain to lug around everywhere, as well as to set up. I would therefore like something which is quick to setup and light, but I don't have a budget for CF legs. As far as the head goes, my 701HDV was fine with my previous camera, but the counterbalance spring is too soft for my NX5 and I cannot balance the camera properly on the head due to the front-heavy weight balance. Ideally I would need a head which could support at least 8kg so I have some headroom to mount monitors or lights (my current setup is around 2.8kg).

My budget for the whole setup is around $500.

I've had great results with Manfrotto, but I haven't tried any other brands as of yet. I understand that Manfrotto is regarded as an entry-level company. Can anyone recommend any other brands, such as Miller or Vinten, that could possibly be within my price range?

Zach Love July 21st, 2010 12:11 PM

$500 is going to be tough. If you can go up to $800, you can get an entry level Sachtler. (Sachtler 0372 FSB-4 Aluminum Tripod System) It can take up to 8.8lbs, which should be enough for your camera, but not enough to really put on a ton of accessories.

If the 701 is holding up well, consider getting just new legs, the Manfrotto 535 legs will be very light & versatile from what I can read.

Mike Beckett July 21st, 2010 01:23 PM

Felix,

I agree with Zach.

The NX5 really needs something like a Sachtler FSB-4 at minimum. You buy an expensive camera, take great HD footage, a cheap tripod is a false economy.

At a very minimum, I recommend a Libec 38 or Manfrotto 503HDV system. Ideally a Sachtler FSB-4 (or FSB-6). You might be able to pick up a Libec on offer or second hand.

Any lighter Libec (eg LS-22) or Manfrotto isn't going to be a happy experience - and it's debatable whether the 503HDV is a happy experience, but at least it supports the camera and shouldn't fall over! I would think the 701 is too lightweight for the Sony NX5.

Of course, it all depends what is convenient to you in Singapore, some brands may be more expensive for you than they are in the UK or US.

Richard D. George September 7th, 2010 12:53 PM

Get a Sachtler or a Vinten, if you value your final video results. While expensive, a good fluid head can be used over the lives of several cameras. It is amazing how many folks don't grasp how critical the fluid head becomes when you step up to full HD.

Peter Harman September 9th, 2010 04:19 AM

Suggestion

We have just released a new product that will be ideal for the NX5. Its the new Vision blue and it lists at US$1,375 so i guess itll be around US$1,100 or less on the street.

I am very happy to arange a loan. Email me off line at peter.harman@vitecgroup.com

David Chia September 18th, 2010 07:31 PM

$500, I'll can say you can try the Libec Ls-38.

I had one, loved it until I meet the Miller ds20 with cf solo legs.

Pretty sure you can get them in Singapore at Expandore.com . They are at sims drive.

Scott Cantrell September 20th, 2010 11:46 AM

As mentioned, the Libec LS38 system is a good option that should cost you around $500 - 600
However, if you can aford to jump up to $1000 to obtain a system with counterbalance would be optimal. Take a look at Libec's new RS-250 system Libec-RS SERIES-What's RS which provides continuous conterbalance and would work with your NXCAM like a charm!

Dale Guthormsen September 25th, 2010 06:45 PM

good evening,

they ar right, step up to the level of tripod that will do your camera jsutice. vinten and gitzo 1380 (look up the reviews on this tripod!! it is one of those quality before diminishing returns!).
the comments about false economy is dead right!!!
the libec 38 has a great reputation for the expense.

Good luck!

Andrew Stone September 25th, 2010 10:21 PM

Felix, if you budget can't stomach more than 500 right now. I would limp along and save up as much as you can to invest in a decent head and set of legs. All the suggestions and brands I would concur with as a focus. Scott from Tapeworks Texas gets to see a lot of stuff and knows what pairs well with what cameras. Libec makes very good stuff and value for the dollar is amazing on virtually all their gear.

I started off with Manfrotto stuff as many of us have. Once you go up you will be kicking yourself for not investing more and sooner. Tripods affect every single shot you make (or most unless you are a handheld guy). Every pan or tilt you make shows on the screen. The importance of this will be all the more evident once you get a really decent tripod. Don't skimp. Other than lighting it is probably the most important investment you will make in your gear.