where to buy after-market plates for Miller DS5, DS10 fluid head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old August 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

where to buy after-market plates for Miller DS5, DS10 fluid head

Hi

Does anyone know where to buy after-market plates for Miller DS5, DS10 fluid heads?

The Miller plates are really crazily expensive. Surely there must be a knockoff variety out there? But I have not been able to find one yet

Any advice on where to find this?
Thanks!
Ray Ambrosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry Ray.............

I not saying you won't ever find any, but let's do the math.

Miller have sold "how many" camera heads in the last 50 years?

How many have been sold to amateurs?

How many amateurs have required extra QR plates?

Who, in all sanity, is going to build a business knocking off Miller QR plates for the 3 amateurs a year (who can't claim it as a business expense) who bitch about the price of the real thing?

Question answered?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm... yes. You have a point. But your "math" is likely quite incorrect.

Miller probably sells many thousands of these heads every year and there are probably thousands of people who want a second mounting plate.

Machining knock-off plates for the various tripods is not such a complex or expensive operation. For a small operation to make different plates for a wide variety of different heads is also probably not difficult.

I'm certain that I'll be able to find knock-off plates at the gigantic Wukesong camera market when I return to Beijing.

Judging from the number of readings of this post, quite a few other people, (amateur or professional) are also interested.
Ray Ambrosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

how about attaching adapter on Miller plate and using Manfrotto RC2 plates?

Most of my equipment (2 photo tripods, 2 monopods) are equipped with a Manfrotto RC2 quick release plate.

Could I just attach a Manfrotto 323 Rapid Connect Adapter to the Miller plate, and then I'd be able to keep using the RC2 plates with my Miller tripod?

My question: Is the RC2 quick release plate suitable to use for attaching my Panasonic HMC 150 to the Miller head?
Or would I be better off switching to use the Manfrotto 577? I'd like to avoid that as I'd have to buy 3 or 4 Manfrotto 577 Rapid Connect adapters and 577 plates.

Suggestions are appreciated!
Ray Ambrosi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads