Manfrotto bowl to flat base adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Manfrotto bowl to flat base adapter?

Hey all,
Rather than purchase a new tripod I am looking at mounting the camera to a flat base. ie a metal post that I happen to have in the exact spot I want my camera. It will never leave this spot since it is a studio (ish) configuration and I am wondering what I have for mounting options? My camera has the 75 mil ball base for ease of leveling etc, and I would like to retain this ability. I would just like to mount it to the top of my steel post.
Any ideas?
I have searched B&H etc for something and I am wondering if I have to stick with Manfrotto as this is what the ball is, or can I use a miller or sachtler mounting base?
thanks in advance.
Darrick
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Darrick...............

Think there are three options. This is one:

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 325N - ADATTATORE PER SFERA

You could go the Hi- Hat route if the post was a big enough diameter, everybody makes those:

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3340

The third option is to simply incorporate a 3/8" bolt sticking up from the top of the post to screw the head onto (assuming it is a flat base head with an added 75mm ball adapter, of course), job done. If the pole is perfectly vertical, and the top is level, a leveling base is no longer required.

The first option MAY only suit a Manfrotto head bolt, the second option, well, if you do a search of B&H, you'll find one from just about everyone as does camera supports. The third option is as cheap as chips.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Never mind I didn't read the question correctly.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys!
Chris, Those links only brought me to the main manfrotto site and I am not sure which products you were referring to....
There will be an operator on this pole mounted camera so I am concerned that "if" the camera were to somehow go off balance I would want to balance it quickly and with little hassle.... I think this would rule out the threaded rod idea somewhat. could you point me again to an exact page that would show a suitable mount?
Thanks in advance guys.
Darrick

ps. I would do a search again but I am not certain of what I am even looking for really. I think what I need is the bowl that the ball fits into.... does anyone sell just this bowl? I am looking for the top flat plate that you find on a tripod that the legs connect to (without the legs) I would then mount that bowl to my metal post.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Huh, bloody typical...........

30 seconds after I lifted those links Manfrotto dissed the web site and loaded a new one.

Second try:

Manfrotto 325N Video Head Adapter Bowl, Connects 75mm or 100mm - Other

and

Manfrotto Hi Hat with 100mm Bowl - Adaptable to 75mm using 319 - Other

Think they may work.

CS

PS: Yep, tested and working OK.
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.
:)

I am a little confused how the first one would allow me to swivel the head.... does the handle still thread through the bottom of the bowl? I am certain that the highhat would work for sure with the head I have ordered though.
Thanks a ton!
(This is why I love this site!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads