Aye level Tripod. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Aye level Tripod.

Hello.

I have been and still am looking for tripod for about 2 weeks now, and in my search i have found that most of the tripods are at around 160cm +- (Correct me if i am wrong.)

Don't people need aye level tripods for such shots, or even a little above.

How do you cope with these sizes( 160cm+-) in such situations ? Place it on a Table?

Personally i am looking for a 190cm Tripod unless i learn something that would change my mind, but i have trouble finding one at such height, and when i do manage to find one, the price is usually to big.

Could some one shine some light on this subject for me ? Wherry much appreciated.

Last edited by Gustavs Repse; September 27th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Gustavs Repse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #2
New Boot

Howdy,

I thought I had the same problem when I was looking for my tripod, but I realized the following:

1. if you're looking at just the legs, the height does NOT include the head. So, 160 cm legs could equal another 10-20 cm in head height.

2. The camera mounted to the head adds another 5-10 cm to the optical centre of the camera.

When I got my tripod, I thought ~168cm was too short, but once I had my rig and my camera on it, the optical centre is at ~182cm, and the viewfinder is ~188 cm - too high for me to even look in.

So, just be sure you account for the legs + head + rig + camera height.
B.J. Szabicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

:) That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I am leaning towards "SLIK 700 DX Pro" tripod and a "EI717AH Pro" fluid head.

Both seems to be the best u can get for the money .

Photography Video Camera Fluid Drag Tripod Head 717AH - eBay (item 330474985377 end time Oct-19-10 23:00:34 PDT) Fluid head. So far i am rly confident about this 1.

And the Tripod is quite tall and solid.

If any1 has had experiece with them, give me your thoughts plz.
Gustavs Repse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads