DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Before I buy: Manfrotto 504HD or Sachtler FSB-4? (for Canon 7D) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/485468-before-i-buy-manfrotto-504hd-sachtler-fsb-4-canon-7d.html)

Ben Tolosa September 29th, 2010 08:07 PM

Before I buy: Manfrotto 504HD or Sachtler FSB-4? (for Canon 7D)

Hi all,

I narrowed it down to these two systems:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683563-REG/Manfrotto_504HD_546BK_504HD_Head_w_546B_2_Stage.html
and...

Sachtler 0372 FSB-4 Aluminum Tripod System 0372 - B&H Photo

I am going to be using this with a Canon 7D for short films. I was about to go with the Manfrotto, but a few people told me: Wait a minute, did you think about the FSB-4?

And since this is a hefty investment for me, I would like to read your take on these two systems before I place my order.

What do you guys think about these two? Specially about the heads, but I am going to most likelly get on of these two 'kits' since fiber legs will be a bit too much for my budget.

Which one? Why? Pros, Cons, Differences, all is welcome!

Thanks very much guys!

Bonus Track: If you happen to know: Will any or both of these two legs work with the dolly bellow?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553954-REG/Manfrotto_114_114_Heavy_Duty_Cine_Video.html

Richard D. George September 29th, 2010 08:37 PM

No further comment.

Chris Soucy September 29th, 2010 11:21 PM

Hi, Ben...............

Well, first off, putting a Manfrotto rig up against a Sachtler is a no brainer, the Sachtler will win hands down every time.

You pay for it though.

An alternative that MAY be worth looking at is this:

Review: Vinten Vision Blue at DVInfo.net

tho' you're paying a damn sight more for the priviledge, and it is a priviledge, it's damn good, and will wipe the floor with either of the other two offerings.

Having read the reviews of the Sachtler I'd say this (the Vinten) is miles better for your intended purpose and not one you'll regret if you can ready up the ponies.

BTW, the dolly you will need with any standard single or twin spike Manfrotto, Sachtler OR Vinten is the 114MV if you want to go heavy - it's quite a beast in it's own right and usually only used for jib platform support (I have one).

You may want to pick something a tad less agricultural for general tripod support dollying, there are quite a few by Manfrotto (and others) that have the ubiquitous "thong" fixing for single/ double spike feet.

CS

Ben Tolosa October 1st, 2010 06:00 PM

Thank you Chris,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1574215)
Well, first off, putting a Manfrotto rig up against a Sachtler is a no brainer, the Sachtler will win hands down every time.

You pay for it though.

An alternative that MAY be worth looking at is this:

Review: Vinten Vision Blue at DVInfo.net

tho' you're paying a damn sight more for the priviledge, and it is a priviledge, it's damn good, and will wipe the floor with either of the other two offerings.

Having read the reviews of the Sachtler I'd say this (the Vinten) is miles better for your intended purpose and not one you'll regret if you can ready up the ponies.

BTW, the dolly you will need with any standard single or twin spike Manfrotto, Sachtler OR Vinten is the 114MV if you want to go heavy - it's quite a beast in it's own right and usually only used for jib platform support (I have one).

You may want to pick something a tad less agricultural for general tripod support dollying, there are quite a few by Manfrotto (and others) that have the ubiquitous "thong" fixing for single/ double spike feet.

CS

Hi Chris,

Thank you for introducing me with the Vision Blue alternative. I read the article/review and I really liked it. However, it is a little bit over my budget. I have about 700 bucks and I was going to get the Manfrotto 504HD; but after reading several reviews I have chosen the Sachtler FSB-4. I looked at the FSB-6 but I have the impression it is not worth (for me and my need) the extra money. On the pictures of both, they looks EXACTLY the same, but with 2 nobs on a different color tone.

At any rate, thanks much for you advice tough!!

Dan Asseff October 1st, 2010 07:06 PM

I have the sb4 and the sb6. I like the sb6 better, but I have a bigger camera. The sb6 is smoother for really slow pans. I think you will be very happy with the sb4.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

Gabe Spangler October 1st, 2010 09:59 PM

I think you always want to future-proof your tripod. The FSB-4 only has a load capacity of 8.8 lbs. That is very low. I have a 7D rig and I have a DV 12 SB, which has a load capacity of 2-30 lbs. You may not have a heavy setup now, but if you start outfitting that 7D with rails, matte box, monitor, etc., it will be way more than 8.8 lbs. Also, what if you buy a new camera, then you have a $900 tripod that isn't up to the job. You should really be paying at least what you payed for your camera setup. You should have at least a $2,000 tripod setup.

My advice: Don't do it. Get something better, or rent. You will use your FSB-4 for a year and then regret having bought it. Camera support is more important than the camera itself. Just my opinion.

Barbara Jaumann October 2nd, 2010 05:46 AM

Sachtler Cine DSLR

You should take a look at the new Sachtler Cine DSLR head (www.sachtler.com). It has more payload than the FSB 4 and a special DSLR camera plate.

Chris Soucy October 2nd, 2010 09:51 PM

Thanks, Barbara.................

What an interesting looking rig.

You haven't got one going spare I can do a review on, have you?

I'm sure it would make fascinating reading (and a fascinating piece of kit to play with as well).

Anyone else vote for a decent DVinfo review?

CS

Ben Tolosa October 2nd, 2010 10:44 PM

Thanks guys,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Asseff (Post 1574838)
I have the sb4 and the sb6. I like the sb6 better, but I have a bigger camera. The sb6 is smoother for really slow pans. I think you will be very happy with the sb4.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions

Thank you for sharing your experience Dan. I like the SB6 but the SB4 will do for now I guess. Barbara mentioned a very interesting one. But I can't find where to buy it or how much it costs.
It is not in B&H...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Spangler (Post 1574880)
I think you always want to future-proof your tripod. The FSB-4 only has a load capacity of 8.8 lbs. That is very low. I have a 7D rig and I have a DV 12 SB, which has a load capacity of 2-30 lbs. You may not have a heavy setup now, but if you start outfitting that 7D with rails, matte box, monitor, etc., it will be way more than 8.8 lbs. Also, what if you buy a new camera, then you have a $900 tripod that isn't up to the job. You should really be paying at least what you payed for your camera setup. You should have at least a $2,000 tripod setup.

My advice: Don't do it. Get something better, or rent. You will use your FSB-4 for a year and then regret having bought it. Camera support is more important than the camera itself. Just my opinion.

Gabe,

It is a great advice. Just my budget does not allowed me to go that far. I would like to know how much it that new 'Cine DSLR' tough...

Thank you for your advice Gabe!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara Jaumann (Post 1574934)
You should take a look at the new Sachtler Cine DSLR head (www.sachtler.com). It has more payload than the FSB 4 and a special DSLR camera plate.

Hi Barbara,

That look like the best option for my need. It is I cannot find anywhere how much it costs. So, I do not know if it fits my budget. The do not have it at B&H... :(

But I appreciate the tip :)

Ed Roo October 11th, 2010 12:46 PM

Other than the price points, just how do these manufacturer's products differ?

Manfrotto
Gitzo
Sactler
Vinten

All four are owned by the Vitec Group.

Is there any 'sharing' of technology within the groups?