Tripod suggestions...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 9th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod suggestions...?

Hi,

I've got a JVC GY110 camcorder and I'm looking for a tripod. I was looking at a Libec ls38 after reading many reviews/suggestions from people on here and else where.

However, the cheapest libec i can find new is 420 (uk) At the moment, the camera was slightly higher in price than I wanted to pay, so my budget for the tripod has gone down slightly.

I would buy a USED libec ls38 however, they are few and far between in the UK :-/

So, could anyone recommend a tripod for the camera i have.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Libec make good, budget priced units. I don't know the two models you're talking about but I had a US$400 Libec and found it well made and very stiff (a good thing). I traded up to a US$1,600 Cartoni Focus and never looked back.

My point is, if the costlier model has higher quality components that the cheaper on (which means the one that's more dear should function better) save up your money, wait and get the better one. You probably don't want to buy sticks, find them lacking, then spend the time and effort selling them at a loss so you can get better ones.

My sticks cost slightly less than half of what my camera cost new. I've had several people tell me I didn't spend enough on the sticks. I don't necessarily agree, but I see their point.

Hope that helps.
Richard Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Look at your tripod as something that will outlast your camera. The GY110 is a pretty hefty camera. Some brands to look at are Vinten, Cartoni, Sachtler and Miller but they may only fall in your price range used. There's a gabillion threads here on that subject. Search.

Keep an eye out on the DVInfo Classifieds and For Auction on Ebay listings.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew

Contact me off line and i will see what we can do, maybe with an ex-dem piece of kit.
Peter Harman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads