Vinten, Sachtler, Libec, Miller, Manfrotto Shootout - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old November 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Easy..............

You fire a mail to Peter Harman ( Vintens [World] Product Manager, Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com ) and ask him nicely if he can set it up through your nearest dealer.

If Peter can, he does, if he can't, he will anyway (he's that type of guy).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #62
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Er, Vincent:

Do you mean 504HD or have Manfrotto released yet another new head?

EX3? Manfrotto? Sorry, I don't want to assume anything, but based on previous experience, I would have said that wouldn't be a happy pairing.

Mixed feelings? I bet you have.

CS
505, 504, 540 - damm I must buy a new keyboard soooon.

Yes, Chris I think you have a point about using the EX3 on a Manfrotto head, at least the 504 doesn't let it crash down - unless you have all the balance settings set to zero, then it could be a heart stopping spectacular show.

Just as another thoughtt, have you seen or taken a look at the e-image tripod range especially the E-image EI-7083 - seems like a nice bit of kit and at a very good price.
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #63
Inner Circle

You've got me there.............

Untill you mentioned them, I'd never heard of them.

Web site looks impressive.

I'll make a few inquiries and see what happens, nothing to lose.

CS

PS: I've mailed their sales team in China, let's see what happens.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; November 18th, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: ++Update
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #64
Trustee

E-Image is one of those less-known imports. ProAV seems to push them quite hard. I've seen some reviews on here before, including a video review, but it is hard to judge when it's not a direct comparison with more well-known brands.

Edit:

See here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...-vs-other.html
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #65
Trustee

I have used the E-image EI-7083 and it is a very good tripod kit that will support the EX3 without any problem. The tripod is made in China and may have a few rough edges compared to say a Vinten or Sachtler. But for someone wanting a well priced unit then the e-image is a good investment.
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #66
Trustee

Awesome news Chris. Looking forward to your feedback. I'm keen on the 504HD but even more attached to the Cine DSLR. Sachtler makes good stuff and i do not have a great experience with the 503HDV. I wonder when will BH photo have stocks of the CineDSLR for testing.

MY contribution would be to test the DSLR directly on the tripods.. some are designed for rigs but i really think many of us would be mounting a camera directly.
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Ah, availability...........

From what I understand, Sachtler couldn't source a CINE DSLR rig for this shootout, as they had nothing in stock and the entire next shipment was pre sold already.

Now THAT'S impressive!

If there's anyone who knows who's going to have what Sachtler gear, when (and there's a double edged sword here) it's going to be Barbara ( Barbara.Joumann@VitecGroup.com ) who would be worth contacting if you really must know.

However, the "double edged sword" is that ultimately, she has little control over the supply chain and no one and nothing is immune to lifes' "sh*t happens" events.

I take comfort from the fact that after the dust of this shootout has settled and the database of support systems is established (did I not mention that?), when I eventually do get my sticky fingers on a CINE DSLR, it's details and shootout scores will go straight up there alongside all the others for direct comparisons to be made.

Going to be quite an amazing resource in a year or two's time, and it will all be here on DVinfo, so don't change that dial, ladies and gents.

The shootout itself is progressing through the planning stages with no more than the expected "Houston, we have a problem" moments.

As the guy who fell off the Empire State was heard to say as he passed the 50th floor "So far, so good!".

CS
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Ummmm before you hit the ground, you might want to add "Folded Length" to the Tripod and System sections. I think I've single handedly boosted B&H's hit count this week looking up the weight and length specs on various tripods and tripod systems. Anyone looking for something travel friendly is keenly interested in weight and length numbers.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #69
Inner Circle

Good thought.............

But I beat you to it.

Version 7 ready to roll.............

Er, make that 7a.

Nope, 7b.

Nope, make that 7c.

CS

PS:

Any mathematicians here who would like to confirm my calculations that at 17.18 metres radius, 1 minute of arc = 5 mm?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Shootout Tripod System Parameters V.7c.doc (64.0 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by Chris Soucy; November 20th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:38 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Gitzo Series 3 Systematic tripod and G1380 head?

Thanks for doing this Chris, highly appreciated.
Since you will be testing a Miller system, it would be interesting to compare it to a Gitzo set. The legs are in many ways similar. Gitzo makes them in four different lengths!
Jyrki Hokkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:05 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Hi, Jyrki..............

Well, I've checked out the Gitzo web site and thought, hmm, I dunno.

I've put it to the experts at Vitec for their opinion.

Personnally I think it would be comparing apples with bananas, but then, what would I know, never played with a set.

Update time:

Took delivery the other day of a Sachtler FSB 6 (0407), CF 75 SpeedLock sticks (4588), mid level spreader and boots (7011) and a Cine DSLR slide plate (number not found).

First impression: Wow! What a tidy parcel it is. SpeedLock system is a Godsend for the spinally challenged (count me in that group!) and incredibly efficient.

The head is so compact it looks like it shrank in the wash, it's small but perfectly formed and, going on the brief play to date, works as smoothly as you'd expect from a Sachtler.

Overall, it reminds me of a racing greyhound in top condition.

Testing begins in earnest today with any luck.

Not getting much feedback on the parameters for the objective data sheet.

This thing is going to keep morphing as I find new stuff on all this kit, so I don''t expect it to be "finalised" till the smoke has cleared down the track.

Version 8 attached.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Shootout Tripod System Parameters V.8.doc (35.5 KB, 337 views)
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM   #72
Trustee

Those CF 75 legs certainly are beautiful, Chris. I miss mine so badly!

It has been remarked that I'm a bit of a "leg man". I'm sure they mean tripods, not anything else...
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Remind us, Mike.............

What delusional state were you in when you gave the CF 75's the flick?

Dang,, they're so pretty I'd like to hang 'em on the wall as art!

CS
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #74
Major Player

For what it is worth, I did not like the Cine DSLR plate, and I am returning it for another "standard" FSB quick release plate.

It is true that the Cine DSLR plate allows the DSLR to sit up a bit, and also prevents twisting. However, it is long and heavy. If you are using a hand-held rig (like a Zacuto Gorilla) then the Cine DSLR plate will not work attached to the bottom of the Gorilla plate) but a standard FSB quick release plate will. Likewise, if you have a follow focus or rails system, a standard plate will work, but the Cine DSLR plate will not (at least I don't think it will).

Others mileage may vary.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM   #75
Inner Circle

Hi, Richard.........

Yeah, it really is a "horses for courses" item.

I've had a couple of problems with it already.

The screw attached backstop dohicky was so high it snagged on the rear of both my SLR's, so just had to go, which just left the front and rear stops as anti - twist points, neither much good from a balance point of view.

As I haven''t got the standard plate yet (nor the bottom spreader - you taking notes, Barbara?) I then had to figure out how to get my camcorders mounted on it.

On that plate it's the platform or nothing, but luckily the front and rear stops on the platforrm are almost the same height and both camcorder bases could span them both.

Not ideal from a pressure point perspective but I'm not planiing on dropping a loaded plate any time soon.

In it's defense, neither of my DSLR's are HD video capable, so may not share the same body build, and I can just guess at the size of some of the lenses going on those beasts, which that plate will handle with ease.

BTW, if you think that plate is long, I got the Vinten long plate with the Sachtler gear. The Sachtler is about 22 cm, graduated from 0 to 20 in cm. The Vinten is over 28 cm!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads