vinten sachtler head advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1
Tourist

vinten sachtler head advice

Hello, This is my first post to this forum but I have been trolling around here quite a bit and figured I would ask for a quick opinion if possible,, I have been shooting video for about ten years and am currently using a Gitzo 1337 with a O’Connor 50d tripod head. I am finally in the market for a new head leg combo and have narrowed it down to 2 choices in my price range, (approx $2200) I am looking at the Vinten VISION 3 Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: Vision 3 Fluid Head, 1-Stage Pozi-Loc Tripod,B&H part number VIVIN3CP1 or the Sachtler DV-6SB SL Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: DV-6SB Fluid Head, Speed Lock 75CF 2-Stage Tripod, B&H# SADV6SBSLMCF. I originally was leaning towards the Sachtler but after lots of reading have begun to discover that allot of people really dig the exceptional movement of the Vinten,, and I have to tell you after watching this video clip http://www.dvuser.co.uk/Main%20pages...%20vinten.html I was even more impressed with the Vinten. I will be using a Sony dsr-400, Anton batteries and a wireless mic setup,, probably about 16 lbs or so,,, I really like the durability of Sachtler, but am still interested in the Vinten,, any and all help would be greatly appreciated,, Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by John Garza; August 3rd, 2005 at 12:46 AM.
John Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Welcome John,

I don't know the specifics of the individual models you are considering. I do know however that almost every broadcast/production company in Los Angeles uses Sachtler tripods. I assume the buyers have a reason, maybe the reliability you mention? Vinten may have well turned the corner and are now producing a superior product.

Hopefully someone here can elaborate on your possible choices.

See ya around,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 05:59 AM   #3

John, both Sachtler and Vinten are excellent. That's not the issue. Based on the weight of your camera, I would say both systems you've mentioned are too light. My experience has shown that to get a rock-solid foundation, which translates to a rock-solid picture, especially when zoomed all the way in on the subject, you need a tripod and head that will hold two or three times the weight of the camera.

Many folks say, "Well, the $500 dollar set up I've got is fine for me." If they're happy with it and the results they're getting, bouncy pictures and all, then that's okay. But if you're shooting video professionally and/or if you have higher standards than a "home video" look, then you need to save up for the appropriate system.

By-the-way, Sachtler's allow you to "center" the camera's weight and adjust the tilt drag just like the Vinten. Too, that was the Vision 100 head, not the Vision 3.

Fact is, in the end, the final choice is yours.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Tourist

Yeah that video clip is of the vision 100, but apparently the whole vision line has the "perfect balance" system :-),,, sure does look sweet
John Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm working with both Vinten (Pro5) for XM2, and Sachler (18p) for Sony DXC637. Both of them are great, but you should be aware of weight of your setup, since tripods are very tricky at this. My friend used his Pro5 for Beta SP cam which was about 30% heavier than load capacity of the tripod. Thing worked for some time and then friction was gone, and the whole tripod was acting like 10$ crappy one. My Sachtler is rated for 18 kilos and fully loaded camera setup is around 10 kilos. Everything is working like a charm for 7 years of very heavy use now...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads