Velbon PH-258 tripod head - How to fix the plate locking lever? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Velbon PH-258 tripod head - How to fix the plate locking lever?

Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I found an old Velbon PH-258 tripod head in my mom's basement, but it's missing a quick release plate and, more importantly, the little locking lever that sits on top of the head and locks the quick release plate in place is complete gone.

I researched a bit online and found that I can buy a new quick release plate for this model for ~$11, but I have nothing to lock it down with.

The link to a photo of my tripod head and one that's fully in tact is below. Any ideas how I could fix/replace this? I'd hate to see it go to waste. I was hoping to be able to use this on my slider dolly so I don't have to move my other tripod head every time I want to use the slider.

foreigndude.com/ph258.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Valter Ognjenovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi, Valter.................

Considering that you will never need to either pan nor tilt whilst using a slider dolly (er, will you?) why not put the head to one side temporarily and scrounge around garage sales (guess there's not a lot of those around your way), flea markets and any other source of real cheap second hand stuff and get any head which will fit the 3/8" or 1/4" bolt on your slider.

Trying to fix such an esoteric piece of kit, well past it's use by date, seems like a waste of effort if you can pick up something functioning, for peanuts.

Just my take on it.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Actually, you're right about not doing a lot of movement with the head while on the dolly, so I'm good there...

I tried mounting the camera directly to that bolt that screwed into the head and it actually works out pretty well, so if I need to use it, I can.

Guess I'm all set. Thanks for the advice.
Valter Ognjenovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Amazing...............

That was one easy fix!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads