DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Need recommendation for good tripod and fluid head for Panasonic AG-HMC150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/491293-need-recommendation-good-tripod-fluid-head-panasonic-ag-hmc150.html)

Tom Wilkinson February 5th, 2011 04:29 PM

Need recommendation for good tripod and fluid head for Panasonic AG-HMC150

I need a recommendation for good tripod and fluid head for my Panasonic AG-HMC150.

According to the manual the camera weighs approx. 3.7 lb. (approx. 1.7 kg) bare, adding the 8 oz. battery (VW-VBG6), that comes to 4.2 lb. (1.9 kg). I don't know the COG.

I was considering the Libec RS-250M but on their web site the "Which camera, Which model" tool only shows the TH-650DV and TH-950DV as being compatible with the HMC150.
The Vinten Vision Blue spec. is 2.1 to 5 kg / 4.6 to 11 lbs (HMC150 too light for this) but the Vinten Camera Supports 2010-2011 brochure (http://www.vinten.com/en/system/file...h_CSB_2011.pdf) claims on page 13 that the Vinten Vision Blue will work with the HMC150.

If you have the Panasonic AG-HMC150 and use a fluid head with a counter balance system and it works well with just the camera and the VW-VBG6 battery, please let me know what you are using. Also mention what legs you are using and how you like them.

Thanks.

Tom

Mike Beckett February 5th, 2011 05:15 PM

Tom,

I am using the Vision Blue with my 'baby' HMC40 with no problems. With Mic and high capacity battery, my cam is 2kg. Perfect balance is perfect. Your HMC150 should weigh more than the 40. Get it on a set of scales!

If it works with the 40, it should work with the 150!

Can you try before you buy?

Chris Soucy February 5th, 2011 07:13 PM

Hi guys..................

Tom, give Peter Harman a bell on: Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com.

Hopefully he can sort out a test drive of the VB before you lash out the readies.

CS

Peter Harman February 7th, 2011 03:24 AM

Pan and tilt head capacity

Hi all. I understand the dilemma when trying to identify a suitable head for your camera, but it isn't all about camera weight. The Vinten Vision range of heads uses two physical features to determine suitability; these are (1) the camera system weight (camera, lens, battery, mic, light, radio kit etc) and (2) the height of the vertical centre of gravity from the camera mounting face. So when we specify a camera/head suitability, we've already done the calculations to establish suitability.

Think about it this way. If you were to hold a heavy weight in your hand by your shoulder, rather like a waiter holds a drinks tray, you could hold it there for a while. But imagine having to hold it further from your shoulder or at arm’s length even, it would become progressively harder to hold the further you extended your arm. The drinks tray isn't getting any heavier, it’s the force being exerted on your muscles that's increasing as it’s the weight of the camera system multiplied by the effective distance from your shoulder to the tray.

So imagine the camera on the pan and tilt head as the drinks tray and the cameras centre of gravity as the distance from the waiters shoulder to the tray. When the camera is sitting horizontal, the cameras centre of gravity will sit over the centre line of the head and not fall away. However, as the camera is tilted, its centre of gravity moves away from the centre line (this can be seen as the waiters arm extending) and depending upon the angle it’s tilted; it will require a varying degree of counterbalancing torque to counteract the falling effect.

All pan and tilt heads have to deal with the same physics. Some do it well and allow the cameraman to work the way they choose, but most do it poorly, relying on drag to mask the errors in their balance system, which prety much determines how you are going to work. Some manufacturers only specify camera system weight capacity which in my opinion could be misleading unless you appreciate the physics that comes into play. However, the more open manufacturers actually provide balance graphs in their literature to show the camera mass vs. centre of gravity balance relationship.

Tom Wilkinson February 7th, 2011 10:42 PM

Thanks All

Mike, thans for the suggestion and I am glad the Vision Blue is working well fot you.

Chris, I emiled Mr. Harman and he was able to answer my question.

The Vision Blue will work with the AG-HMC150.

Chris Soucy February 8th, 2011 12:26 AM

So.........?

Are you going to demo it or just buy?

CS

Tom Wilkinson February 8th, 2011 06:57 PM

I am looking forward to receiving a loaner. I will report my progress as it happens.

Jeff Anselmo February 8th, 2011 08:03 PM

Hi Peter,

That's the best analogy of tripod use I've read so far!

I think I'm gonna save up for a Vinten Vision Blue instead of a Manfrotto 504 just from that post :) (And from Mr. Soucy's brilliant review of course!)

Best,

Tom Wilkinson February 20th, 2011 02:58 PM

I can confirm the Panasonic AG-HMC150 with the VW-VBG6 battery balances perfectly on the Vinten Vision Blue with the Perfect Balance knob all the way counterclockwise. I also mounted an Audio-Technica AT875R in a Rycote InVision Universal Camera Kit (12cm) and rebalanced the camera and it worked great with 1/2 turn clockwise of the Perfect Balance knob.

The legs seem quite sturdy and the pan and tilt are very smooth. My first impressions are that this is a excellent choice for my use.