Sachtler FSB 8 or Libec RS350 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Sachtler FSB 8 or Libec RS350

In terms of tripod heads, Sachtler and Vinten are a completely different league than Manfrotto/Libec.

I have the FSB8 predecessor, DV6SB. Brilliant head, even holds my HPX500 for those run and gun situations where i don`t fancy carrying around more weight. But the legs, I`ve got the alu ones, don`t match the head quality.

To this day, for a one man band, the Vinten Vision100 and a set of Sachtler 100mm HD legs(can`t remember if they where speedlocks or not) are the most stable solution I`ve used. And yes, did carry a HPX500, mattebox, 3 batteries, food/drink and autumn clothing...and a vision100/sachtler hd kit around the old Olympic slopes in Hafjell(Lillehammer olympics). Ofcourse this is a kit for larger ENG size cameras. That said after using a loaded EX1, 100mm sticks gives you that extra rigidity...

As for smaller cameras with some extras the FSB6/8 should be a good head. I can`t comment on the new AS or blu range from vinten, and I do tend to lean towards Sachtler...

So you could always go more stable, but at a certain point it becomes to heavy to carry around...and very expensive.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #17
Major Player

I have been looking at Vinten as well. In fact I have been searching what feels like the entire internet for information for a while now, probably making me more confused than ever.

I think I have decided to go with either the RS450 from Libec, as it comes higly recommended by Nigel Cooper from Dvuser or a Vinten. The RS450 should fit my JVC and seems a good match for other cameras on the market, giving me better options when working as a freelancer.

However Vinten`s homepage suggests the Vision AS5 series for the JVC. But then again that is double the price of the Libec. At least here in Norway. I have also been recommended the Vision 6, but I don`t know if they make that model anymore.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi, Svein............

Erm, hmm, Mr Cooper, yeah, I say nothing,(Content removed as possibly libelous)

I DO NOT GET PAID in any way, shape or form, owe nothing to any manufacturer and am not reliant on an income from them to keep contributing here on DVinfo, and have no axe to grind, one way or the other, if I have a bias, it's because the gear is simply better, end of story (IMHO).

You seem to be a tad impetuous with this, which is a terrible mistake to make, calm down and listen, test and decide in your own time.

Give Vinten some time to come up with a test rig, heck, Peter has gone "off piste" somewhere 'cos even I can't raise him since I posted the "contact him" post.

There is a very good reason why the Vinten offering at the level you're looking at is twice the price of the Libec, it's better than twice the quality, which shows in the end product.

Just give Vinten a chance to show you what they can do.

What else can I say?

If you buy yet another rig "on the fly" and it turns out to be junk, don't blame anybody but you, you're the idiot with the credit card.

Just park it and wait.

We'll get there.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #19
Trustee

Seems to me that part of the problem is simple physics.
I shoot stage events at the long end of the lens and have used Miller's Compass and Arrow tripods and heads.
Once significant source of problems isn't the sticks but what they're sitting on. Even if the legs are absolutely rigid they can be sitting on soft carpet so the whole thing will move relative to the planet.
Sure adding more mass to the system via more expensive heavy legs with a 100mm or 150mm bowl will help but you've got to pay serious money for this and you're stuck lugging that weight around no matter what you're shooting.
A simple, cheaper fix is a 15Kg shot bag tied to the bottom of the head.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Chris, thanks for calming me down. I am just anxious to get going. That`s all. I have a project coming up soon and would like to get a good start not worrying about whether my equipment will hold up to the task. I did send Mr. Harman an e- mail as I said, so hopefully he will get back to me.

Bob, I guess you are right about stability. I have been thinking about putting some extra weight on the tripod, but then again I am on my own and already carry a lot of equipment. Less is better. For me anyway.
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #21
Major Player

I opened my e- mail today and there was a message from Mr Peter Harman. He suggested the Vinten Vision 5AS single stage Aluminium tripod system with floor spreader (V5AS-AP1F).

Have either of you used this system? It looks great from what I can tell. I would prefer to have a mid- spreader though, considering I move around alot in different terrain.

He even wrote I could loan one and try. How great is that? I will reply tomorrow as easter is over then. Wonder if they ship to Norway?
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi, Svein.............

I gather Peter has been having a "real" holiday (finally!) and had thus disapeared from everyone's radar for a while, I'm glad he eventually responded.

Can't see a ground level spreader being of much use to you (or anyone else, for that matter) except as a "just in case" addition to your armoury.

The problem is, you have a choice with the mid level spreaders, which is why, I think, Peter is trying to avoid the issue, tho' he's probably going to tear a strip off me for saying so.

There are now two Vinten mid level spreaders, the original Spread - Loc, which weighs a ton and costs a Kings ransom, or the new (not really, a modified Pro - Touch unit) that is infinitely lighter and cheaper.

The lighter, cheaper unit does the job exceedingly well but just doesn't look, well, Vinten, to be frank. That notwithstanding, it works, it's cheap (er) and what more do you want?

Haven't tried the V5 AS, got the V3 AS, V3 and VB (yeah, why would one videographer have all these heads? Stuffed if I know, bloody nice toys though!)

If the V5 AS is as good or better than the V3 AS (doubt it's any different, same body, just a different spring [go on Peter, prove me wrong]) it's going to be quite a revelation.

Just about all the loaner systems I've read about going out have had GLS, probably because of cost/ weight, I guess.

Give it a try and see what you think.

As I've said before, Vinten customer service, just can't beat it.

Keep us posted.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #23
Major Player

After corresponding with Mr Harman at Vinten I have come to look at the following system. It is called V5AS-CP1M and should include the following: Vinten Vision 5 AS head, 1 stage carbon tripod and mid level spreader.

My reason for opting for the 1 stage carbon tripod is a matter of two things. First off it is lighter and second there are less clamps in the system and thus the leg construction should be more rigid, the 1st tripod should be more torsionally stable than the 2st tripod according to mr Harman.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads