weifeng 717 with other head at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 4th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

weifeng 717 with other head

Hello people!

I have this tripod, and because its pans are really bad, I was wondering wich head shall I go for? Are all the heads the same and can fit the tripod base? I mean, I was looking at Manfrotto 501HDV. Will this do the job? Cheers!
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: weifeng 717 with other head

501 isn't the greatest. What camera is it for?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
501 isn't the greatest. What camera is it for?
Canon EOS 600D and canon EOS 60D
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi George,

The 501HDV isn't that bad, it's OK for wide angle work and can suffice. Plus, if it's all your budget can buy, then there's no point dreaming of Vinten! I've used my 501HDV a lot with smaller cameras and you can get by, and smooth pans are possible. Telephoto work is difficult, but wider angles are fine.

The 501HDV has a normal flat base with screw mount.

The head won't help any problems with the legs, though. If they are not stable, or wind-up/twist as you pan, then that problem will still be there.

Sure, high price Vintens and Sachtlers are where you want to be... but if you can't afford it, and can work with the limitations, you can get by with this head.

Edit: I just checked the Weifang 717 tripod. It appears to be a ball mount head, not a flat base. If that is the case, you will need to get the Manfrotto half ball adapter.

Spec here: http://www.weifengchina.com/pro/index_show.asp?id=1313

Confirms that it is a 75mm bowl.

If you want to mount a flat head tripod like the 501HDV on these tripod legs, you will need something like this: http://www.manfrotto.com/product/0/5...hort_Half_Bowl

You may also be able to remove the ball part of the Weifeng head and use that, but I've never handled one and can't comment.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads