DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Sachtler DV-12SB Fluid Head (100mm) and Sachtler CF-100ENG 2CF Carbon Fiber (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/494606-sachtler-dv-12sb-fluid-head-100mm-sachtler-cf-100eng-2cf-carbon-fiber.html)

Jason Bodnar April 15th, 2011 01:08 AM

Sachtler DV-12SB Fluid Head (100mm) and Sachtler CF-100ENG 2CF Carbon Fiber

So, anyone out there have this setup or at least used the DV12? I am thinking about picking up this combo soon and after using a friends 3006 Cine 30 HD with a RED, I was very impressed! His setup is overkill for me as I would only use it with a loaded up EX1 and my coming soon F3 which will end up loaded up with somewhat heavy PL's at times as well. I really like the stability of the 100mm and the extra weight does not bother me.Note; The FSB6 and 8 are just not stable enough for me. I am sick of compromising head/leg combos.. my old Manfrotto setups have served me well for what they are but I have never been completely satisfied and I just want to make a purchase that will last me for the forseable future and $$ is somewhat of a concern, I do not want to go above the cost of the DV12 and CF-100ENG legs. I think for me the 2lb to 31lb range for the Head will be perfect for a long time, any advice will be gladly accepted and appreciated.

I can not talk myself into dropping 6k on just a head but man the Sachtler 1910 Cine 7+7 HD looks amazing and 16-Step counterbalance with that 7+7 very nice!

Sabyasachi Patra April 26th, 2011 03:50 AM

Re: Sachtler DV-12SB Fluid Head (100mm) and Sachtler CF-100ENG 2CF Carbon Fiber

Jason,
Please share your impressions once you get the fluid head and the tripod. I too am planning for the Sachtler tripod.

The Cine 7+7 seems to be a nice head. The boost button seems to be interesting.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

John MacPherson April 29th, 2011 12:42 AM

Pasted this on 'another' forum but it might be useful info to have here for some of you looking for heads:

Quote:

Just a heads up on the Sachtler CineDSLR - which I just got - so some first hand comments and observations for anyone contemplating this bit of kit.

I previously owned a much larger Sachtler 150mm bowl size head which I used for nature documentary work, mostly with an Arri 16 and Canon 300 with converters. It was impressively stable and built like a tank and proved suberbly usable and reliable in all conditions.

As a mainly stills photog just coming into DSLR video and currently using Arca Swiss ballhead and 1348 4-section Gitzo carbon legs, I needed a decent fluid head that would fit my Gitzo (Systematic model with 75mm bowl). My previous experience with the Sachtler brand pushed me towards the CineDSLR. I need to carry most of my kit on my back, sometimes in remote areas, and anything heavier would likely be too heavy.

Pleased to say the build quality is superb, fit and finish excellent and it has a solid quality feel to it that indicates that although costing less than a quarter of the price of the previous Sachtler head I owned, its every bit as robust, just smaller.

My big DSLR the Canon 1D(s)Mk2/3 series bodies coupled with 300 f2.8 and 500 f4 lenses top out at about 8 and 11lbs respectively, so fall comfortably within the advertized working range of the CIneDSLR.

Initial impressions with the 11lbs of Canon 1Dmk3 and 500f4 is that it works smoothly, pans are well damped, and tilts are perfectly controlled with the combination of damped movement (friction set at 3 in each axis) and counterbalance spring setting at 8 or 9 (it goes to 10). My feeling is that there is sufficient extra spring strength to counterbalance a few more pounds so the advertized weight limit is rather conservative.

At the light end of the scale a Canon 7D and 17-35 zoom weighing just over 3lbs balances really well, with the spring setting at 2 and friction at 1 in each axis, giving well controlled movements and perfect degree of resistence.

Bear in mind that the advertized weight 'limit' is not really a limit rather a guide to how much weight the head can comfortably counterbalance and provide 'control' over. And also worth mentioning that such DSLR set-ups I'm describing are pretty long - the combination I am playing with currently is 60cm long so thats a lot of heavy camera body out back of the head and a chunk of lens element out front so that puts a bit more strain on the fulcrum (head), but it feels really well controlled.

So I reckon for the combination of stills work with 'light' cameras, use of longer heavy wide aperture lenses, and video with both short and long lenses, it will prove to be extremely versatile and usable.

Disclaimer - I'm no video expert, but 30 years of stills photography and a few years of 16mm shooting has taught me enough about the importance of solid support to know what is good from what is merely adequate. In my humble opinion the CineDSLR head is clearly very good indeed, and worth the investment.

Sabyasachi Patra April 30th, 2011 07:52 AM

Hi John,

Jason was talking about the Sachtler 1910 Cine 7+7 fluid head ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/610985-REG/Sachtler_1910_1910_Cine_7_7_HD.html )
It has 2-22kg capacity, 100mm bowl and with a 16 step counter balance range.

The Sachtler CineDSLR has a load carrying capacity of 1 - 5 kg, 75 mm bowl, 10 step counter balance and of course about 4900 USD cheaper.

Nevertheless, nice info. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

John MacPherson April 30th, 2011 11:55 AM

Hi Sabyasachi - yes I was aware of that - wasn't suggesting the CineDSLR would be an alternative - you obviously need more load capacity - just seemed a useful thread to piggyback some more head info on! Particularly for folks doing the vDSLR lightweight thing.

Good luck with your quest!

Regards

John

Sabyasachi Patra May 1st, 2011 08:08 AM

Hi John,
I shoot and film with a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV. I had considered the Cine DLSR head. However, my prime lens - the 400mm f2.8 IS lens - is 5.3 kgs and exceeds the capacity of this head. So didn't go for it. Also, in future, I would like to go for a camera with interchangeable lens. Not sure which one. Hopefully, in a years time all the protagonists would have come out of the Tsunami inflicted pains and might show more models. Lets see what Canon comes out with.

I have ordered the Sachtler legs (ENG 2 CF HD ). Now starts the real pain/pleasure of carry these heavy stuff and filming. :-)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Erik Hartman May 14th, 2011 08:44 AM

I actually use this exact combo- Sachtler DV 12 head with the ENG CF 2 legs. Works great with my SONY EX3. I also looked at the Sachtler FSB 6 model but thought it was too flimsy. I could see it driving me crazy in the field after getting used to the incredible stability of Sachtler Video 15 and 20 models for years. I plan on putting a nice Fujinon 1/2 inch or 2/3 inch lens on the camera at some point and really feared being so front weighted that the tripod would tip forward occasionally. The DV-12 and CF 2 legs are definitely heavier to carry around than the FSB 6 or 8 but a nice stable feeling tripod with a smooth pan makes it more than worth it. I highly recommend the setup.