Vinten Vision Blue for a JVC GY-HM100E? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vinten Vision Blue for a JVC GY-HM100E?

This is my first post, so please be gentle...

I'm in the market for a new tripod for my JVC GY-HM100E. I really like the look of the Vinten Vision Blue from the various reports and reviews. The problem is that nobody in the UK seems to have any stock long enough to get down and test drive one. Most if not all dealers are continually fulfilling back orders and probably will for some time to come.

Is anyone using a VB with the GY-HM100E, if so any feedback would be much appreciated. I know that there is potentially an issue with the weight of the camera being under the balance range, which I assume can be fudged by dialling in some drag? Also the camera itself is petty small, so I'm not sure how it looks and handles on the VB.

Anyone using this combo, your opinions, views and any pics of the same would be greatly appreciated. As a last resort maybe some alternatives.
David Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vinten Vision Blue for a JVC GY-HM100E?

Hey David,

Welcome to the forum!

I use the Vision Blue with my Panasonic HMC41. With big battery, XLR adapter, mic and windshield it is spot on 2kg, and balances fine. My 1kg stills camera is too lightweight for it.

What does your HM100 weigh? On paper, I think it's something like 1.3kg, which is pretty light. Have you tried weighing it with all your accessories on it? You'll not be too bad at 1.8kg, 1.9kg I'd say. I think if you're much below that you'll begin to suffer from problems with the spring-back of the balance system when tilting. Adding drag does help this, but I think it is a sin! Panning is of course fine.

This is a problem I will face, I am upgrading my camera to either the Canon XF100 or the forthcoming Sony NX70, both of which are a bit lighter. I am considering just adding a couple of Manfrotto plates I have lying around here to the top of the tripod to add around 500g of extra weight.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

David, sorry to hear your dealers have no stock. Its been an issue for a while but its getting better all the time. If it helps, i can arange for a loan Vision blue system to be shipped to you so you can try it for yourself and set your mind at ease.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mike, Thanks for your very encouraging reply, I think the Panasonic HMC41 is about the same weight as the HM100E out of the box. I guess it's much easier to add weight than remove it!

Peter, Thank you for your kind offer, I would very much like to take you up on this, how can we arrange it?
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi David,

You can email Peter using the link here - just click on his username to see the menu.

The VB is a beautiful piece of kit, I hope it works out for you. Us small camera people asked, begged and screamed for something, and Mr Harman and his team in Bury St Edmunds listened to us!
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Mike,

Thanks for your help. I've sent Peter an email and can't wait to get my hands on the VB system for a test drive.

BTW: I weighed my HM100E and it comes in around 1.5kg with some additional kit on it, still a bit light I think for the balance system. I may have to look at adding a plate between camera and tripod mount, what do the Manfrotto plates weigh that you have? - I guess it rather defeats the object to add drag to compensate!

Is there no one on the forum using a JVC GY-HM100E and VB system then?
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Trustee

David,

Manfrotto list the MN357 at 280g, the MN577 with longer plate at 330g. I am hoping that adding one of these will take me up into the acceptable limit. If not, I will try stacking one on top of another.

And if that doesn't work, I'lll get a lump of metal from somewhere and drill holes in it!
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Peter,

Thank you for getting a loan VB system to me for evaluation, it was very much appreciated.

Fortunately, I had the opportunity to take it out on a days filming and my overall impression is WOW!, what a fantastic bit of kit!

The legs not only provide great mechanical stability for a small and very lightweight camera, but the smoothness, action and balance of the head is fantastic, even with only 2kg sitting on it. I'm beginning to understand what all the fuss is about regarding VB!

My dilemma now is that prior to using it, I had decided that the mid spreader would be best for my usage, however the loan unit had a ground spreader which worked really well on the day!

Last edited by David Fox; May 17th, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #9
Trustee

I would always go for the mid spreader, I think it adds slightly more stability to the tripod than a ground spreader - by bracing it at the mid point, rather than at the bottom. It's also more useful outside on uneven ground.

You can of course have both - buy the mid spreader tripod, and if you think the ground spreader is needed, buy it as an accessory in the future.

David - I take it Peter wants you to send the tripod back!
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Mike,

I think you're right with regard to the spreader, the floor unit is limited to flat surfaces and since most of my shooting is outside, that's not going to work too well.

I found the VB system so nice to use even with such a small lightweight camera, the head movement is just fantastic. It's made me realise just how much effort I've been putting into overcoming a poor head and support system instead of concentrating on the subject and the shot!

Unfortunately all good things come to an end and the demo VB has now been returned.

Peter,

Thanks once again for your personal interest and help in making the loan possible, not only a cracking product, but first class customer service!
David Fox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads