Pan/Tilt - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Pan/Tilt

Go for it Gary, ignore Robin (on this rare occasion) and tell it how it is.

The "Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

There's nothing like a new owner to find every wart on a system, and nothings perfect.

Robin is correct, we know (as in, I know the world is a sphere, because I keep getting told and see the photos, but what if it's a setup?) it's good, but we're interested in what YOU think of it, that's the point, and we value your input on this.

You're now a VB owner, a special class of camera support buyer, give us your take, especially as it compares to the Libec.

Every bit helps.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I second that.
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post

Robin is correct, we know (as in, I know the world is a sphere, because I keep getting told and see the photos, but what if it's a setup?)

CS
LOL

But if the Multiverse theory is correct, somewhere out there(?) exists a universe where Manfrotto is tops...
which is where Quantum Mechanics "probably" breaks down...
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Ah, but I don't live there, thank God, but here, where sanity, or what passes for it (moveable feast) prevailes.

Or, does it?

Hmm, maybe I better rethink my entire existance.

It's a funny old world.

CS
Old June 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Howdy, okay I'll leave it to you to figure out which universe you guys are in. As for me, I'm on earth and scratching my head trying to understand why I'm still getting rebound at the end of my tilts and pans.

I've tried every which way to stop it. I have been able to reduce it by backing off on the continuous balance as I had it too tight, and that helped alot. And putting more drag on has helped, but it's still noticeable. I have been able to reduce it more by practice, but if I just take my hand off the handle after a tilt I get alot. And to make it worse, the image is close ie. within 10 feet of the camera, meaning that if the image was at a distance from the camera, it would be more noticeable.

I have had a comment that the lens might be a factor as the lens is the Canon 20x which is very long, and maybe has an impact on the center of gravity, or whatever.

As far as a review of this tripod, I have had virtually no experience with tripods, but my impression is that it is a much more sold platform than the Libec RS 250, or Manfrotto 504 Hd. I especially like the continuous drag on both the tilt and pan. And the mid spreader can be finely adjusted as well which is an additional feature.

And the head moves very, very smoothly. I don't have the Libec at my finger tips to make a more credible comparison, but I think it feels more silky. The pans and tilts, are definetly very, very smooth.

Earth out.
Gary Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #21
Trustee

Gary, I have to ask the question just in case, so don't take offence if I'm off mark here, but you don't have the optical image stabiliser switched in do you? It can give effects just like you describe.
...just a thought
Old June 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Gulp, yeah. Let me try with it off.
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Robin,

Hey, thanks so much! What a difference! I never would have thought that the image stabilization would have an impact at all. I knew that it did on auto focus and zooming, but I never, ever, thought it would have an impact on panning, and tilting. I'm thrilled!

So, three tripods later here we are. Quite possibly the Libec RS 250 would have been adequate as well, if I had known about the stabilizer. But I'm happy, this is clearly the better machine.

Cheers!

gary
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #24
Trustee

Glad to have solved the problem Gary. It's something that's easily overlooked, but can have undesirable results!
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Bloody good call there, Robin.

Quote:
"I'm happy, this is clearly the better machine."
Think we can call that a win - win all round.

DVinfo triumphs again!

CS
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Let's not omit the beginning of the quote Chris:

"Quite possibly the Libec RS 250 would have been adequate as well, if I had known about the stabilizer..."

But, then to sum it up...
"I'm happy, this is clearly the better machine."
Fair is fair even if Vinten if totally kicking butt here. I'm sure (I do hope) the other companies are taking notes on how to improve their products given this excellent extensive reporting job by Mr Soucy, otherwise I'm definitly leaning toward the 'blue' side as well.
Aloha, I look forward to more...
Z
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Phew, this was a long one wasnt it. Anyway, glad to hear it all ended well. Just to add weight to the findings, when we launched Vision AS, i got called into a major broadcaster who had purchased a large number of Vision 3AS systems for their fly away news crews. They too were complaining of springback. I knew it probably wasnt an issue with the tripod or head, but had to go through the motions in order to rule it out just in case. Fact was that they had all been given new cameras too and guess what, image stabilisation was switched on and when they moved to frame their shot, the image drifted slightly. With the stabilisation switched off, it was rock solid. It happens.
Old September 21st, 2011, 09:03 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Hi all. Hope you are all well and creating beautiful images.

I had another customer just a few days ago who complained that his new Vision blue system showed signs of drift back once he had stopped panning. After a bit of detective work, we came to the conclusion that it was the image stabilisation that caused this effect. We tested it with image stabilisation off and hey presto, when he stopped panning, his framing remained rock solid.

I’d recommend that it’s switched off when you are working on a tripod.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads