Pan/Tilt at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pan/Tilt

Howdy,

Recently, I watched a video in HiDef. Mostly shots of architecture. At the end of each pan or tilt there was a 2+ second pause of so, before the next shot.. The pan/tilt was absolutely smooth and the pause rock sold. Not any jitter in the slightest. Absolutely perfect. Now when I try to copy I don't acheive anywhere near the same results. My tripod while not high end is a Libec. So, my question is: Can this rock solid pause be acheived in post, say by copying the last solid frame over and over. Similarily, can the pan/tilt be smoothed out in post?

Thanks, in advance.

Gary
Gary Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Pan/Tilt

How long was the lens? How long is your lens? That's a major variable.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Of course you can repeat a frame. What NLE are you using?

Wiggly pan endings can come from a tripod's "windup". Just because it's a Libec doesn't mean it's good.

There's a video filter in FCP for jiggly shots but it can have side effects. No magic push-a-button fix for badly shot footage tho.....
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Try to avoid any background activity going on (people walking, trees swaying.) or the freeze frame will be obvious.

wz
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay, I have a long lens. It's a Canon 20x. But I thought the continuous balance system would counteract this extended weight?

My editing system is Vegas.

So, far I have not been able to eliminate some creep, backlash, or driftback(call it what you will). There is just a tiny bit. Reviews stated that there was no backlash at all. It's a Libec RS model.

Maybe I don't understand what to expect in terms of backlash. When I tilt down and then hold the shot without letting go of the handle it is fairly solid. And I say fairly solid because it seems just a little jitter enters in.

If I do the same tilt and then let go of the pan handle there is more. Is this the long lens, or misleading review? Or is it just that I'm so new I just need a lot of practice?

What is the most effective way to hold or let go at the end of the pan/tilt?
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi, Gary..............

Which RS model do you have, as a matter of interest?

Have you read my review of the RS 250 here on DVinfo (in the Articles section, top of every page)?

I can assure you that if it's an RS 250, the tripod is not that stable at it's very best (spreader fully extended), at it's worst (spreader in full retract) it's diabolical.

Getting a clean, stable, pan end is practically impossible with the Canon 20X (the unit I used to test the rig), so it isn't you, it's the support.

Untill/ unless Libec release a modified spreader/ spreaders for the entire RS series, they are all going to be afflicted with these rediculously high leg angles that make a mockery of the fine engineering they put into the units themselves.

Sell it and buy a Vision Blue, problem solved.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; May 9th, 2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Chris, okay B & H has agreed to take back the Libec, in exhange for a Vison blue.

Now my problem is to decide which model. I'm sure that someday I will be moving to HD, but I know nothing of the weight of these cameras.

From their website it seems that the least expensive model has a payload of 11 pounds, but considerable less expensive than the next model up.

The type of filming I would be doing will be documentaries. Can you make a recommendation on which model would be most suitable.

Thanks in advance, Gary.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Inner Circle

B & H service at it's best, as usual.

As for the VB, well, a VB is a VB, period. The next model up is the Vision 3 AS.

If that 20X Canon lens is attached to a Xl 2 (struggling to think what else it could be if it's Canon & SD, do say if it's something more exotic, this advice may be incorrect otherwise), the VB is more than adequate and unless you've loaded your rig with all sorts of extra bells and whistles, the CB spring in the 3 AS will be too powerfull for it.

The standard VB rig: VB head, 2 stage Pozi - Loc sticks with mid level spreader and boots and case is a very tidy package and will suit your current SD Canon perfectly and is fine for the next step XH series and up as well.

Note that if your next step up is to something a lot more upmarket/ shoulder mount, the VB is going to be out gunned in very short order, but there really isn't much point buying now for the system you might have down the track.

Enjoy.

CS
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks again Chris, I really appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Gary

BTW: It was the Libec RS 250
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Gary...............

Will you please, please, recount (here) your experience with the VB after a bit of "play time".

There are very few people who have had experience of both the RS 250 and the VB, me being one of the few exceptions.

Having someone else recount their experience will be a huge help to those searching DVinfo for answers, and give another users experience first hand as to the differences.

We're also interested in how the original problem that sparked this thread has been solved (or otherwise).

Also, did you find my review usefull and was it relatively easy to find, as it's a question that may need addressing.

Hope you can find the time for all of the above.

Enjoy the VB and happy shooting!

CS
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Regular Crew

No problem. It may take about a month, though, as I'm shipping right across the continent, and I won't be receiving VB for a few weeks.

But I will definetly post.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Chris,

Your review on the tripods is by far the most comprehensive review on any tripod comparison that I have read. And I read lots of reviews. It is easy to find, and is first rate. I only wish I had read it before making my purchase decision on the Libec, but it was a timing issue as it was just coming out when I was signing the check for the Libec.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Gary
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Okay, I finally received the VB. Straight out of the box, it comes packed it its carrying bag.

This bag is far superior than either the Libec or Manfrotto 504 HD bags. The bag has sewn in padding all around and offers serious protection to the Tripod. The Libec and Manfrotto's bags are mere coverings to assist with carrying but offer no protection whatsoever from threat of impact.

The bag also has two clear vinyl pouches for holding the tripod and head manuals. The manuals themselves are also quite superior to the Libec or Manfrotto manuals, in term of layout, description ot the features, writing etc. The manuals have coil ring binders as well, making them much stronger.

Upon assembly, the unit is definitely heavier, but just looking at it you get the impression of a much more solid looking piece of equipment compared to the Libec or Manfrotto offering.

The head has an illuminated level, which the Libec didn't have, and I believe the Manfrotto didn't either.

The head has continuous drag for both tilt and pan unlike the Libec which has only two.

The unit has a continous balancing system similar to the Libec. I

Performance review coming....
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #14
Trustee

...we know it's good!... :-)
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Yes, I'm responding to Chris's request that I do a review as I have handled both the Libec and now VB. I'm still curious to see whether it eliminates the issue as discussed in this thread.
Gary Badgley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads