Tripod Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old May 11th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod Recommendations

If you were in the market for a tripod costing $400 or less, what would you buy, and why?
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Tripod Recommendations

Steve,

What camera would it be used for? This may help us think of an offering in this price range.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Is this not answered in the many threads of the "support your ..." forum?

Go to b&h or adorama and drill down on the "tripod system" section. Sort by price. research tripods at the top of your price range by searching on each one here at dvinfo.

Last edited by Les Wilson; May 11th, 2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: fixed iphone typos
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Steve,

What camera would it be used for? This may help us think of an offering in this price range.
DSLR video would be my main use, although I am considering buying a new camcorder next year, something like a Panasonic AG-HMC40 or a Canon XA-10.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Steve,

Provided you don't want to spend your life at the long end of the lens shooting tiny birds on the other side of a river...

In the under $500 range, something like a 501HDV is grand for that sort of camera. I have a Manfrotto 501HDV system which is fine for my HMC-40 - you won't do better at the price:

The B&H list of possibilities in the $250-$500 range is here: Tripod Systems

I really wouldn't venture any lower than Manfrotto or Libec. Others swear by Matthews, Davis & Sanford etc., that's their choice. As a tripod nerd, I would avoid the lesser brands.

Example of 501HDV system: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687057-REG/Manfrotto_501HDV_546B_501HDV_Head_w_546B_2_Stage.html
This has a ball-levelling head, some control over friction for pan and tilt, a sliding plate that is easy to adjust, and a very basic counterbalance system. There's a couple of 503HDV-based systems in that list as well. They're all as good as it gets at this price level.

Try to get the sturdiest legs you can. At this price range, lighter = more wobbly. The LIbec LS-22 is just "OK". I've used it, and have experience of it. No friction adjust for tilt and pan, difficult to adjust the sliding plate for balance, and a basic counterbalance adjust.

I also own a Vinten Vision Blue, which is of course much better, but you didn't ask for a tripod in the $1000-$1500 range!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads