Sachtler ENG 2 CF HD opinions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sachtler ENG 2 CF HD opinions?

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade my tripod for my JVC HM700. I'm wanting to buy a tripod that will last me for years and still be usable when and if I upgrade the 700.

I'm quite liking the look of the Sachtler ENG 2 CF HD, anyone have opinions on it with a HM700? I am happy with a bigger heavier tripod, is this going to be suitable? I'm not sure what head to buy, but going to get the legs first.

I know they do a non HD version, the ENG 2 CF but how does that compare?

I'm not worrying about cost, just want the best possible tripod. I do ENG, some docu and a bit of corporate.

Cheers
Lenny
Lenny Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sachtler ENG 2 CF HD opinions?

Hi, Lenny...............

Can't give you any info on the mentioned tripod, though (and Sachtler will take an exceedingly dim view of this, I'm sure) I'm interested in why you picked that very support?

I know nothing about the JVC HM700, so some info on same would be usefull, as well as what you load it up with, and all that stuff (you know, minor details, but........).

Also, what you're using for (camera) support now would be a good add to the mix, so at least we know where you're coming from on the support front.

One thing that concerns me greatly is compatability.

If you go for a Sachtler set of sticks, you're pretty well tied to a Sachtler head, all of which have stepped counterbalance, a curse I've not been able to get around in all the months I've had to play with the FSB 6 I've got here for review.

Vintens will not interface with Sachtler sticks, so, if you want infinately variable counterbalance, you're stuck with Vinten sticks and heads.

If that is not an issue for you (er, why not?) then, yep, go for Sachtler, they're great heads and I have no doubt the sticks are pretty damn sharp as well (not something that applies to the 75 CF's I have with the FSB6, but they're an errant effort at minimalism that sounded like a far better idea than they turned out to be in practice).

As you can see, it's not quite as simple as "buy the best and it'll be ok", 'cos sometimes it might not be.

(Dear readers, anyone who thought the previous sentence implied that Sachtler was "the best" would be mistaken, it's not. There are other manufacturers who are just as good or even better, it's just that Sachtler is the one which falls into the "Can't go wrong if you buy IBM" frame. Vinten [and others] never get a look in as they are either associated with high end studio systems or movie sets, which is simply not true).

Anyway, my friend, if this is helpfull, all well and good, if not, well, no harm in trying.

Looking forward to the next exciting installment.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response, which is pretty helpful.

To maybe explain a bit better, I've been a stills and video guy professionally for 25 years, mainly stills but I started off on 16mm film, then U-matic, MII and Betacam SP, then away from video for a while. I had a Canon XL1 for a while, and then recently after redundancy and starting freelance in photography and video production, I got a JVC HM-700.

I have always used solid tripods from my years of film, then medium and large format photography. Sinar 5x4's... I don't like lighter flimsier tripods, and am happy to humph a heavier duty tripod as I appeciate total solidity.

I had a wee play with this very tripod with some of the broadcast guys I deal with, BBC Scotland news crews. I really liked it, although saying that they had heavier cameras on it.

I load my 700 up with a standard IDX battery, Senn Me-66 and probably soon rails and matt box and maybe a nanoflash or similar.

I want a tripod that I don't have to replace, I am currently using a Libec LS38 and although it's great for the money, I do feel it a bit lacking in some areas.

I'd be interested in which Vinten you reckon is comparable to the ENG 2 CF? I'm just buying the sticks this month, will be buying a head next month or month after.

So is the Vinten continous variable counterbalance THAT much better??

Some of the sticks I see seem a bit flimsy, but I'd really need a play with them...

Cheers
Lenny
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'll go one better.................

Fire a mail to Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com, (he's the Vinten Product Manager) giving him your kit details and wishes and get him to sort you with a bit of hands on play time, he's very good at that.

I think that once you've tried his suggested option, he'll have to send a squad of SAS 'round to get it back off you!

CS
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

In the interests of fairness here.................

As I keep forgetting that Sachtler do testers too - fire a copy of the mail you send to Peter to Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com (she's the Product Manager for Sachtler) and see what she can rustle up for you.

That will give you the opportunity to test the two offerings side by side.

She and Peter are old mates BTW, so don't worry about hurting anyones feelings.

CS
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Cheers Chris,

Barbara has already emailed me, will also contact Peter though.. :-)
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny Warren View Post
Barbara has already emailed me

No suprises there, both she and Peter are pretty "on the ball" and both keep a close watch on what happens here at DVinfo.

Do keep us posted, I'm fascinated as to what you think of each of the systems tested.

CS
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Oh, BTW.................

Alluded to but not mentioned in my first post, as money hasn't been talked about as yet, if you REALLY want to spend some serious dosh on a system, have a squizz at this little gem...........

1030HD

Mate that with a same make set of sticks and it will leave a hole in your wallet the size of the Grand Canyon, but that's one SERIOUS piece of camera support.

CS
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Vintens will not interface with Sachtler sticks, so, if you want infinately variable counterbalance, you're stuck with Vinten sticks and heads.
Vinten Vision 100 worked fine on Sachtler ENG 2 D HD. And some of the older Vision heads worked just fine for the Reuters guys in Oslo today, ENG 2 CF HD. Why shouldn`t other vinten heads work with sachtler sticks?

To me the speedlock sticks, both the HD version and standard are the best run`n gun sticks around, fast, relatively light and good build quality.

As for build quality, at the moment in Oslo with all the news crews being good proof of what to get and not. Vinten, Sachtler and some Millers. Could not spot any Cartonis(they do make some decent systems) or Libec(which plainly is rubbish anyway). A good set of sticks and a proper head is a investment that will outlast many cameras, electronics are dead cheap now a days, mechanics still cost to manufacture to precision.
Christian Magnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I have the ENG 2 CF HD. It is excellent. Very stable, very quick to work with, and it is well made.

I use it with my XDCAM 700, sometimes with a Letus, EX3, Nanoflash. It works great.

I shoot a lot in the mountains, and it does not flex or bend in the wind. (It, also has not blown over... unlike an older vinten I used to have).

I shoot a broad variety of subjects and I have found that it is really versatile. The only thing I can suggest is that it is perhaps a bit heavy if you are just shooting in and around town and carrying it all the time.

Ben Ruffell Director of Photography
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Inner Circle

That was based on my tests with a Vinten VB, 3 AS and V 3 on a set of Sachtler 75 CF SpeedLock sticks - no go, in that yep, I could get the head in the bowl and get the clamp knob to seat on the underside (just) but there was no angular adjustment whatsoever.

The same test with the head from the Libec RS 250 on the Sachtler did exactly the same thing.

The same test with the Vintens on two sets of Manfrotto sticks determined that they would mount but angular adjustment was rediculously small.

So, fine, one swallow and all that, but not having the full range of sticks from all the manufacturers to do all the tests with, leaves a rather large hole in the database with regards to compatability, so I'd never recommend doing a mix and match unless there was a cast iron guarantee they are compatible.

And I sure as heck wouldn't shell out a couple of grand on a mix and match system without that same guarantee.

The pro's get to play with the gear before they shell out, the vast majority here on DVinfo are going blind buying on - line, not the same deal at all.

As for your comment about a support system being an investment, couldn't be more true and certainly one worth getting right first time and always, always pay more than you can afford, you'll thank yourself down the track.

CS
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Cheers guys, it has to be a 100mm bowl, and Barbara is also recommending the Speedlock. it would have to be the 100mm CF version. Thoughts on speedlocks? I like the idea for speed of setting up.

I really like the beefiness of the hd versions, liking the 2:2:2 configuration. Surely with tripods the heavier and sturdier the better, as long a you are prepared to carry them?

Most of the news guys here use Sachtler so I get more chance to see them. My supplier Creative Video don't seem to show much vinten on their website and the ones I saw looked a bit "weedier" than the Sachtler. Also harder to browse vinten website...

I would have thought a 100mm vinten head would fit Sachtler legs?

I'm buying next month so plenty time to research... :-)
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #13
Inner Circle

You can't get past "beefy", end of story.

2:2:2 is, er scary - where does that last 2 come from - ain't seen one of those - something new from Sachtler?

OK, I'm going to throw in a wild card here Lenny, whatever you do, do not make any decision till you have decided on a decent head.

Sticks are good, but they're useless without a decent head (and vice versa), they are a team.

Camera support is "a system".

Check out all the available options for heads, decide what you like and take it from there.

Sounds like you're making progress though, well done.

CS
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Sorry, meant 2:2, tying on my iPad.. ;-)

I've not decided anything yet, still doing my research and I appreciate a system... I believe in doing all my research before spending what is a lot of money! ;-)

The problem I have is I haven't liked any of the Vinten legs I've seen out on the road, I'm a news photographer to trade and I know a lot of the tv news crews. They mainly use Sachtler here, the guys with Vintens (not sure models) just didn't seem sturdy to me..
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Lenny,

I have this Sachtler 100 ENG HD 2CF tripod. I am using it with the OConnor 1030 HDs fluid head. It has got a stepless counterbalance. Am currently using this to film with my DSLR - Canon EOS 1D Mark IV. Will have to wait till the next year before I take the plunge and buy a 4k/5k camera (counting my coins now). :-)

Here is a link to a brief description about this tripod. Sachtler CF 100 ENG HD 2 CF Tripod | Diary - Tales from India's Wilds ofcourse it is not as comprehensive as Chris Soucy writes his reviews. :)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
PS: Barbara was a big big help in me getting the tripod.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads