sachtler legs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Major Player

sachtler legs

comparing 2 stage sachtler legs for the fsb - 6: carbon vs aluminum ?

Looks like the carbon is 2 pounds lighter.

But is the carbon any more stable than the aluminum? any other differences?

thanks
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: sachtler legs

Carbon's advantage is that it's stiffer/stronger per pound. Some CF models are the same weight as the Aluminum model and you may scratch your head as to why. Stiffness/strength isn't in the specs.

Beware that some Sacthler legs are two struts only in the stage closest to the head. The other stages are one strut. That's called a 2:1:1 vs a 2:2:1.

If you haven't already found it here on DVinfo, Chris Soucy did some tests on legs to flush out relative performance of various legs. It should be easy to find. Also, here's a handy chart on Sachtler legs that I found when I was looking for legs:

B&H Photo - Sachtler Tripod Comparison Chart

Last edited by Les Wilson; August 6th, 2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added strength
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Trustee

I mistakenly thought Sachtler legs were going to magically weigh nothing and be about the same stability as my Manfrotto aluminum legs...

Well, they are a bit lighter, not night and day, but 10 times more stable! Exceptionally happy with my fsb6/cf75 speed legs.

I've used some hollow tube type legs like Gitzos and that's where the lightness of CF really shows up. However, I don't trust that type of leg after watching a very experienced camera op dump a Nikon 7000 with 70-200 2.8 when the twist lock failed.

Cool thing about the speed legs is there's only one lock per leg and it's close enough to the head that you don't have to bend down to adjust.
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Major Player

I have both the Sachtler CF legs and the Gitzo CF legs, both with 75mm bowls for use with Sachtler FSB heads. I have an FSB-6 and an FSB-2 and will soon add a Cine-DSLR head.

The Gitzo legs are (to me) just as stable as the Sachtler legs, and just as secure (I have never experienced the twist lock mechanisms fail).

So..... the only advantage of the Sachtler CF legs is set-up speed with one lock per leg.

The advantange of the Gitzo CF legs (and it is important to me) is really low-to-the-ground set up.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads