Sachtler FSB4 VRS Vinten Blue - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 14th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sachtler FSB4 VRS Vinten Blue

Congrats! I'll expand on something that Mike said in the earlier part of this thread. I've recently added 3 inexpensive quick release systems for two tripods and one stabilizer that already had quick release functions but with expensive, proprietary or difficult to release plates.
I picked the Acebil QRSS system and have been fully satisfied with them for $28 each. Extra plates are available for $14 to $28 depending on the length of plate but they will all fit in the small quick release system for extra sliding adjustment range.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._w_BOTTOM.html
The added benefit for my XA10 camera is the ability to change the battery without having to unlatch it from the tripod. The original Sachtler plate is very thin and didn't slide, so to change batteries required holding the camera handle, unlatching the plate, lifting up enough with cables still attached to clear the battery for removal and replacement, then relatching the plate. Now I can change batteries without moving anything.
In addition, the Acebil plate is just thick enough and smooth enough, but with a beveled area for secure grip, that you can actually hand-hold the plate while using the camera. The Sachtler, Bogen and stabilizer original plates were no good for that at all. This is really helpful with the dSLR's I'm using that benefit from a low grip that doesn't bear on the lens when shooting handheld video.
They will also sit flat and stable on a surface. The old-style Bogen hex plate and giant screw protruding from the bottom was no good for that either, but the tripod itself was still working well enough for the $28 vast improvement in mounting multiple cameras within just seconds of time with sliding adjustment range.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
The Sachtler:

CF 75 SpeedLocks useless for HD, but that's just them, never had a chance in that market, not indicative of Sachtler overall...
Chris, back in 2011 you didn't like the Sachtler CF75 Speed Lock sticks. By strange coincidence, I was about to put in an order on this exact set of legs, spreader, and feet today.

I used them a couple weeks ago on a shoot, thought they seemed rigid, quick to set up, light, and fast to change camera height. Granted they are a single leg section for the bottom stage, and some would rule them out for that reason (not me). I'm endlessly changing camera height for b-roll...

Where did they fall short for you?

(At this time I'm not changing heads, I have a 75mm ball head to go on the sticks)

Nate, congrats on the Vision Blue. Good gear!
Old April 14th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi, Seth.........

The 75 CF's are a great little set of sticks:- Light; one lock per leg, not per section; thus fast etc.

However their 2:1:1 construction which gives them the above characteristics gives rise to an unacceptable amount of wind-up, especially when compared to a decent set of 2:2:1 sticks or even, in the case of my Vinten FiberTecs, a 1:1:1 I - beam monster which makes the Vb sticks look like a 5 stone weakling.

This isn't readily apparent to the naked eye of the casual observer of said sticks in use, however, when viewing the resulting HD video it is apparent that the head simply can't be kept under complete control, especially during rising or falling diagonal pans.

[That this is a stick issue and not a head issue was proved by using the same heads as displayed this lack of control on the 75 CF's, the Sachtler FSB 6 and Libec whatever on both the Manfrotto whatever and my Vinten Vb sticks, no problem. I couldn't use the Vinten head on the 75's as the clamp knob precludes their fitting, the Libec only fitted by swapping its clamp knob with the Sachtler, or was it the Manfrotto one? ]

I have re-tasked my set to a stills rig for which it's light weight and quick setup is great, though I never let go of the camera if the wind is blowing more than 2 knots, else they set up a lateral oscillation which is truly scary to behold. As my favorite weapon is a remote shutter release, and NZ does get a fair amount of weather, they thus aren't exactly perfect in this role either!

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

I wonder if manufacture has been improved. When I used a brand-new set last week I did my test of grabbing them at the bowl and trying to rotate them. They seemed solid in a day of shooting. But I didn't have anything heavier than a C100 with medium-weight lens. It was all run-and-gun, and I didn't have the sticks but for the shoot itself.

I'll have another crack at that them on Monday and will test again.
Old April 15th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #20
Major Player

I got a pair of the 75 CF SpeedLock sticks with my FSB-6 fluid head. They came apart on me twice. The carbon fiber tube came out of the plastic base. It appeared to have minimal adhesive on it. I got it back together and used some 3M 5 minute epoxy to hold it. Worked for about 5 years then did it again. I just got it all back together this year, but only had super glue to hold it. I use them with just a Sony AX100 now, not the FS7. When that tube comes out, it also pulls the tightening rod out with it, which operates a cam-driven lock at each extension. Have to fiddle around a bit to get things aligned so both locks operate properly. It ruined a shot at golden hour on a pier in Hong Kong. The subsequent handheld footage is no good. And then trying to get it and my XL-H1A into the back seat of a taxi with the one tripod leg fully extended was no fun. I have not abused these legs. They stay in their padded case most of the time and have flown in checked baggage and have been left in the back of my SUV for anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, then back into the closet. My Gitzo series 3 CF legs have been around longer and I've never had a problem with them. I've taken them apart to check the leg locking parts for wear and tear and to clean everything one time when I had to set them up in a foot or so of sea water.

Now I've been waiting about 2 months for the OConnor 1030D to arrive. It's still backordered.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Sachtler FSB4 VRS Vinten Blue-sachtler-tripod-broken-1.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads