Mounting camera on different heads / QuickRelease plate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting camera on different heads / QuickRelease plate

I have been using Sony EX1, and EX3 for some time, and are also planning to get a DSLR...
The problem that I have been encountering more and more is mounting the cameras..
I have E-IMAGE tripods and monopods, using small Manfrotto head on slider, and are also mounting the cameras on a crane..The problem is that every head manufacturer has its own plate..
And when I need to move the camera from tripod to crane/slider or vice versa i constantly have to change plates which can be time consuming..
How do you guys manage this?
Do you use some kind of quick release plate, the one which base I can mount to a tripod head plate, and then move the camera across different heads...

Thank you for help..
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Mounting camera on different heads / QuickRelease plate

Manfrotto (Bogen) QR577 seems to be the setup of choice. I use it for my monopod and DVMultirig and with a couple of plates all of my cameras can be switched from one to another effortlessly. About $50.00 USD
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Major Player

And for high end option:
Really Right Stuff - Item Listing
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Second the 577. Saved a lot of headache since I have a lot of support gear including a Sachtler tripod which the 577 receiver plate sits atop. That way my cameras all wear the Manfrotto stuff. Easy!
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
New Boot

I have a Sachtler fsb4 fluid head tripod, and was surprised to find when I recently purchased a Manfrotto 561bhdv monopod that the Sachtler and Manfrotto quick release rails are compatible with each other. Is that design an industry standard?

The Manfrotto 577 looks quite nice, btw.
Jon Onstot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads