DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   I pulled the trigger today! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/501711-i-pulled-trigger-today.html)

James Kuhn October 17th, 2011 03:01 PM

I pulled the trigger today!

After a great deal of thought, researching infinitesimal minutia, hours of numerous search engine time, and asking the same inane questions that have been asked over and over, ad infinitum, by every 'Noob' since video time began, I have made my Fluidhead/Tripod System purchasing descision. I know all of you are on the edge of your chairs waiting for this announcement. Drum Roll please.

I bought the Vinten Vision Blue #VB-AP2M!

It was a close race between the Sachtler FSB 4, but in the end the VB won out because it had a little bit more 'headroom' in max capacity. Chris Soucy and his excellent 'reviews' certainly helped me along my way as well as all of the 'usual suspects' here on DVinfo. Thank you all!

I want to especially thank Barbara Jaumann, who took time from her weekend to answer more 'inane' questions and to help in the down-select process. Sachtler will eventually get some of my money if for no other reason then Barbara's customer service ethic. Thank you so very much.

Regards to all,

J.

Mike Beckett October 17th, 2011 03:11 PM

Re: I pulled the trigger today!

James, you will not be disappointed, this is an excellent tripod.

I wished it had the side-load plate, but that's all I would change about it. You're getting the equivalent of the older Vision 6 head, at a bargain price, it's a serious piece of engineering. And our man in Bury St Edmonds, Peter Harman, is always on hand for a bit of advice if you need it.

Just be sure to turn off image stabilisation before you check for drift-back, just to save his sanity!

James Kuhn October 17th, 2011 03:30 PM

Mike...yes, I read a thread about disabling 'image stabilization' issue. I almost went with the Sachtler FSB 4 because of the 'side-load' feature, amongst others, but in final equation, payload capacity and the ability to 'grow' my kit won the day. Even if I never hang enough do-dads to max out the Vision Blue, I still feel more comfortable having a that 'wiggle-room'.

BTW, I should also mention I purchased my VB through TapeWorks Texas. I found out about them from DVinfo.net. Mr. Scott Cantrell is a great guy to deal with! I will do more business with them.

Thanks,

J.

Chris Soucy October 17th, 2011 03:31 PM

That's..............

Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com

Exceedingly good choice, James.

I'm certain it will give you many years of faithfull service (as would any of the contenders).

It will be interesting to get your feedback once you've had a chance to put it through its paces (and vice versa).

CS

James Kuhn October 17th, 2011 04:31 PM

Chris...I will certainly put the VB through it's paces. I'm tough on gear, that's why I try to buy the best I can afford. I have always considered cameras and the associated peripheral equipment as 'tools' that get used-up. I don't needlessly abuse my gear, but the equipment has a job to do and if it can no longer perform it's function it's time to go.

I'll try and provide some 'user' insight and share with the community.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

J.

Jonathan Levin October 19th, 2011 09:01 AM

James,

Just curious what rig you will be mounting on the VB?

JL

James Kuhn October 19th, 2011 06:18 PM

Jonathan...my intention is to purchase a Sony HXR-NX5U camera. I also expect I'll add an on-board light, and possibly a HD-SD recorder, which is the reason I felt I needed the additional payload capacity of the VB-AP2M. At least that's what drove my thinking at this juncture.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

J.