Best tripod for Z1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 1st, 2005, 02:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best tripod for Z1?

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just got a Z1 today and am still trying things on the camera but I'm really happy with it. So anyway, I'm looking for a tripod that is best for Z1. I've been reading some of the topics here but didn't find a satisfactory answer.
I've been recommended Miller DS10, Sachtler, Manfrotto and also Bogen. Can anyone help me choose? I'm sorry for this silly question but I only have little experience from making short videos so I guess you can say that I'm totally inexperienced. ^.^
Martin Taidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi martin, I've been using a LIBEC TH-950 Kit for my XL2, this camera is a lot heavier than your Z1 so should be more than enough, good panning smoothness and feel, has a Leveling ball head which is a fast way to level the head, a lot easier than adjusting each tripod leg. also built well, cost me £220 from UK - about $390 US.

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Libec_Tripods.htm#950
Mike Hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Major Player

No disrespect Mike, but those lower budget range of Libecs tripods aren’t too good, and for an XL2 I would have thought you would have looked at a 503/525 kit or something along the same lines. The same would go for the Z1.

Remember you get what you pay for with tripods, so at the end of the day, it depends how much you want to spend.

-Rick.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Richard, what do you mean by 503/525? Are those Libec models too?
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Major Player

They are Manfrotto. The 503/525 is a leg and head combination, 503 fluid head and 525 legs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Forgotten how to make them active!!

edit: FIIIIIIINE activate yourself then!
Old September 3rd, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well,thanks for the recommendations. Is there anyone else who want to share their opinions?
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Wrangler

I have a Miller DS-5 which I got a few years ago for my PDX-10, a much lighter and smaller camera. Am currently using it with my Z1 although the DS-10 would be preferable. The DS-10 adds drag and balance adjustments to the head and is rated for heavier cameras. The action on the Miller head is very nice, and the tripod is relatively sturdy.

One disappointment with the Miller is that the lower section aluminum legs have sometimes popped out of the sliding plates. They can be put back in without any real problem, but it would be nice if they were anchored better to start with.

My DS-5 has action that is far, far superior to the Manfrotto 501 head. Not sure if the same comparison would apply to the DS-10 vs 503, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Boyd, a lot of people has recommended the DS-10 so maybe I'll get that. Does anyone know the differences between aluminum and carbon fiber? Which one is better? Thanks again.
Old September 5th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

If you can afford them, carbon fiber legs are way to go. They are much, much lighter than aluminium ones.
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Does that mean carbon fiber is also less stable?
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Does that mean carbon fiber is also less stable?

No, not at all. Carbon fiber legs are very stable and less prone to deformation than aluminum ones. Anyway, after 6 years of heavy usage (Sachtler 18P), legs are looking like new.
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Darko. Should I get a mid or ground spreader? The mid spreader looks sturdier somehow or maybe it's just me?
A quick search at B&H revealed these. Which one do you think I should get? And why is aluminum more expensive than carbon fiber?

Last edited by Martin Taidy; September 6th, 2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old September 7th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Well it depends on what are you shooting. I found mid-level spreader very useful for field shooting, rough terrains...etc, while ground spreader is better on smooth surfaces like floors. It seems to me that carbon legs are priced more than alu ones when you look all specifications.
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #14
Regular Crew

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...hs=Miller+DS10

I've narrowed my selection down to the first 3 items on this page. Am I right to say that I can't attach a dolly to the carbon fiber one because it's not provided in the accessories section for it? The carbon fiber one also look considerably different than aluminum. What do you think Darko?

As for shooting condition, it will mostly be floor although I wouldn't discount the possibility of shooting on an uneven terrain, just not as frequently.
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Well, IMHO first combination with mid level spreader is my personal favourite. Good thing is also that you can set up that tripod on ie. stairs or rough terrain. I'm not so thrilled about carbon fiber one, couse it doesn't seem so stable. I have some bad experience with telescopic legs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads