DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Sachtler Telescopic Tripod TT 75/2 CF (or similar) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/504052-sachtler-telescopic-tripod-tt-75-2-cf-similar.html)

Owen Kilgour January 3rd, 2012 07:31 AM

Sachtler Telescopic Tripod TT 75/2 CF (or similar)

Does anyone have experience with this tripod? I can't find any reviews.
I am thinking about getting it as a set with either a FSB6 or Cine DSLR head.

I do a lot of international travel, hiking to remote locations, etc so weight is important, hence the motivation for a telescopic tripod over a conventional video tripod. I know Gitzo make nice sticks of this kind but buying a head and sticks that are not part of a set seems quite uneconomical.

This is to be used with a Canon 5DII but I would also like something that can support an EX1, FS100, C300, etc in the future.

Any feedback re this or similar systems would be much appreciated.

PS: My current setup is Manfrotto 190xprob sticks with 701HDV head. This lacks the leveling convenience of a bowl mount and although I can get reasonably smooth pans, starts and stops are a problem.

Chris Soucy January 3rd, 2012 04:12 PM

Re: Sachtler Telescopic Tripod TT 75/2 CF (or similar)

Hi, Owen.........................

I haven't tried that particular tripod, but can give you some pointers based on a bit of experience.

Either of the two packages you mentioned seem very tidy indeed and as a travelling set look pretty hard to beat, certainly a big step up from your current rig.

Starting with the head, the Sachtlers are as smooth as they come, the side load is a godsend and it's quite amazing what they have managed to cram into such a relatively small package.

As this is your first "proper" system, the 4 stage stepped drag should not be an issue for you, it's basically what you get used to first up that sets the stage for all following decisions.

Of note is the 10 stage stepped counterbalance, again, you will get used to it, but be aware that because of the stepped nature of the beast, certain camera rig weights/ centre of gravities may not align with a full step and give you a bit of droop/ kickback unless applying tilt drag.

Forwarned is forarmed, as they say.

Moving on to the sticks, well, there's the trade off - weight against rigidity.

Being a 1: 1: 1: configuration with two leg locks on each leg means that the rig will wind up on you, no way to stop it, however, a bit of practice "over scanning" pans can pretty well bypass the worst of that.

As with any HD camera and such a light rig, you will find that in pretty well anything but a light breeze the image will show wind buffeting with little provocation and using the pan bar/ camera controls whist rolling video will show up with anything but the lightest touch, magnified terribly with long focal length lenses.

The above said, quite frankly, for your purposes I cannot suggest a better system. Anything that is significantly better in controlling all or any of the above is going to be larger, significantly heavier and probably more expensive.

The engineering on the Sachtlers is top of the class and for the money you really can't go wrong with either of your indicated rigs.

May I suggest you fire a mail to Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com - she's the Product Manager for Sachtler and an exceedingly helpfull and efficient lady to boot. She can outline the pro's and con's of both rigs far better than I and should be able to sort a test drive of your chosen rig before you spend your hard earned cash.

CS

Pete Cofrancesco January 3rd, 2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Kilgour (Post 1707115)
I do a lot of international travel, hiking to remote locations, etc so weight is important

You realize its 35.6" folded How do you plan on getting that on a plane and carry it around? You have the stomach to check something that expensive? $1,500 isn't any bargain package, you could get a head and Gitzo legs for that price. I recently had to try to decided on a tripod for air travel and its difficult. 24" is the max for carry on.

Owen Kilgour January 4th, 2012 06:47 AM

My current system exceeds cabin baggage restrictions and I've taken it on many international flights per year and never had a problem taking it on board. If need be, I will take the head off and put both parts in my hard shell suitcase. Most of my filming is done away from home so it does not make sense to have a lesser system for travel.

What head would you recommend to go with the Gitzo sticks and still provide top performance for $1500?

Pete Cofrancesco January 5th, 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Kilgour (Post 1707339)
What head would you recommend to go with the Gitzo sticks and still provide top performance for $1500?

For the load you specified FSB4 would work @ $700 Above that capacity prices jump. They charge a premium for a head without their sticks. Some ppl buy the system then sell off the part they don't want. But finding a buyer could be a pain.

There are these tripod systems in your price range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/708389-REG/Sachtler_0307_FSB_4_Fluid_Head.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/785054-REG/Miller_1870_Solo_DV_2_Stage_Carbon.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631148-REG/Gitzo_GK3500SV_Ser_3_6X_Head.html

Les Wilson January 5th, 2012 10:47 PM

The sachtler DA-75/2D ENG are 25.6 long. Here's a handy spec sheet on a number of Sachtler legs.

B&H Photo - Sachtler Tripod Comparison Chart

I found the DA-75/2D ENG legs nice but still kinda big for travel. Frankly, I don't think you'll find a small bowl type tripod that will fit in a suitcase and be good for anything other than droopy lock down shots... so what's the point?

Like you, after traveling one trip with the FSB4/DA-75 combo, I went with the Manfrotto 190pro and 701HDV for travel. Now that's a small bit of kit.

Pete Cofrancesco January 6th, 2012 07:21 PM

Gitzo Systematic tripods allow you to replace the base plate with either a leveler adapter for flat heads or a bowl adapter for ball heads. Some of these tripods are small enough to fit carry on. Its difficult to say what is or isn't good enough because everyone needs are different. Maybe a light easy setup tripod will allow you to climb to the summit before sunset...

Les Wilson January 7th, 2012 06:48 AM

Just to clarify, I was challenging the worth of a bowl tripod small enough to fit a suitcase versus a suitcase sized center-post design. The Manfrotto 190cxpro4 for example holds 11lbs, is 19.7" long and weighs 2.9lbs. The only suitcase sized bowl tripod I've used is the Matthews M-25 whose legs are 24" and has a non-standard 60mm bowl so you are stuck with their el-cheapo frictionless head. I much prefer the center-post Manfrotto 190cxpro4 with 701HDV head than the Matthews bowl tripod when I'm limited to something that fits in a suitcase.

In comparison, the Gitzo Systemic holds vastly more weight (39lbs) but is 26.7 long and 4lbs which may not fit a suitcase. That size set of legs are comparable in size and weight to the DA-75/2D ENG which are 25.6" and 5.1lbs.

I agree, a tripod system that is small enough to make it to a remote location is the key and an M-25 is better than nothing.

Pete Cofrancesco January 7th, 2012 08:41 AM

I agree about the Matthews. The problem is the really good heads come only in a bowl style. I played with the idea of having one quality bowl head that I could swap video legs for travel legs. The only bowl tripod suitable for travel was Systematic that is 24" folded, 3.7lbs, and supports 39lbs. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569166-REG/Gitzo_GT3531S_GT3531S_Systematic_6X_Carbon.html
The 190x legs are a little too thin, 055 are more to my liking. I've used the travel Gitzo and its like shooting on a pair of match sticks fully extended. You can't go on the load capacities alone, just because it can support the weight doesn't mean its stable, especially for video panning.

Les Wilson January 7th, 2012 08:48 AM

Yes. Very true about the spindle thin legs. I love Gitzo stuff.... I was looking at the GT3530S. The 24" GT3531 is a workable length. Is the bowl adapter easily removed for packing?

Pete Cofrancesco January 7th, 2012 11:23 PM

From what I understand you loosen 3 allen bolts to release the center of the tripod base and replace it with the bowl adapter. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569199-REG/Gitzo_GS5320V75_GS5320V75_75mm_Bowl_Adapter.html

Mark Watson January 8th, 2012 09:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Les,

I have the GT3531 and it is not in the Systematic line, meaning it doesn't have the interchangeable head parts. The head is a fixed design with a rapid center column.

The GT3531S or GT3531LSV are in the Systematic line and you can configure them with either a center column, 75mm bowl or 100mm bowl. The folded length of a GT3531LSV is 26.4 inches, the GT3531S is 24 inches.

From the B&H description of the GT3531S: "Systematic tripods are supplied with a flat top plate. The optional support attachments can be fitted by simply unlocking the bolt in the top casting, lifting out the flat plate and fastening in the alternative adapter or column."

(The pic is of of the GT3531, the diagram is showing a GT3531LSV)

Mark

Pete Cofrancesco January 8th, 2012 10:16 AM

thx mark i stand corrected, looks even simpler than i thought with one bolt.

Taivo Glumov September 6th, 2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owen Kilgour (Post 1707115)
Does anyone have experience with this tripod? I can't find any reviews.
I am thinking about getting it as a set with either a FSB6 or Cine DSLR head.

I do a lot of international travel, hiking to remote locations, etc so weight is important, hence the motivation for a telescopic tripod over a conventional video tripod. I know Gitzo make nice sticks of this kind but buying a head and sticks that are not part of a set seems quite uneconomical.

This is to be used with a Canon 5DII but I would also like something that can support an EX1, FS100, C300, etc in the future.

Any feedback re this or similar systems would be much appreciated.

PS: My current setup is Manfrotto 190xprob sticks with 701HDV head. This lacks the leveling convenience of a bowl mount and although I can get reasonably smooth pans, starts and stops are a problem.

Hi Owen,
which tripod and head did you end up with?
I am thinking of buying Sachtler Telescopic Tripod TT 75/2 CF with FSB4 but worry about rigidity of a tripod part

Owen Kilgour September 6th, 2012 12:56 AM

I got a Gitzo GT3532LSV and a Sachtler FSB6. Have been very pleased with it so far.