Sachtler Speed Lock 4588 legs sticking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sachtler Speed Lock 4588 legs sticking

I purchased a Sachtler tripod and while I'm thrilled with almost everything, I'm annoyed that two of the first stage legs stick at the start of extending and collapsing. Is this a matter of breaking it in or should I send it back for another one? Its not horrible but I have to gently tug on them to release, after paying this much I'd like them to be right. One of the main reasons I got them was for quick setup. Anyone have these legs?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/412239-REG/Sachtler_4588_4588_Speed_Lock_75.html
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sachtler Speed Lock 4588 legs sticking

Hi, Pete.............

I have the same sticks here for review and they exhibit exactly the same behaviour as yours.

Part of the problem is the sheer lack of mass in the lower sections, which means even the slightest drag on the locking mechanism will let them hang up.

It's worthwhile checking that you are indeed fully opening the locks prior to extending/ retracting the legs, as the adjustment in the locks is exceedingly finely balanced and even a slight miss on the latch opening will provide just enough to hang a leg up.

In addition, there is no positive audible/ visible indication that the locks are fully open (or locked for that matter) making it very easy to open/ close them only partially.

I don't know if Sachtler provide maintence manuals for their gear - you'll probably have to register your system and sign up for an account if they do.

If you can get access to a manual it may have info on how to adjust the leg locks for perfect operation if one or more is slightly out.

From memory (going back a bit here...) there's also a bit of an issue with sections snagging the paddle end of the clamp knob if the legs haven't been spread a bit before dropping.

All the above said - familiarity and use WILL get you sorted in due course, every system is different and every time I use a different one it's back to basics every time, all thumbs and muttered swearing.

In the event that this becomes a drawn out drama, fire a mail to Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com and get her to point you in the right direction, she's "The Boss" and an exceedingly efficient one too.

Good luck.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I saw this video so I know that they have the ability to slide out.

Unboxing the Sachtler FSB4 SL MCF Tripod - YouTube

You're right the light weight is a factor. I'll email her to see if I can adjust the locking mech myself. I don't feel like shipping them back to BH.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #4
Trustee

I had those legs with my Sachtler DV6-SB, and had a similar problem, so it seems to be pretty common. One or two of the lower sections would sometimes just stick, and need a shake, or a tap/pull to get them to extend.

It's a long time ago, but I think I used a duster and gave the legs a good polish (not using Mr Sheen, don't worry!) and it did help a bit.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Major Player

I have those same legs and had a breakdown a few months ago. I was extending the legs and one leg just came apart. The carbon-fiber tube came out of the plastic block, which allowed the metal shaft to come out of the latch. I got it back together and applied some 5 minute epoxy to hold the tube in. I've been wanting to replace this tripod with a set of Gitzo sticks for some time. Haven't been able to find a set in the shops I've visited in Hong Kong and Singapore and don't want to order anything until I'm sure it will be compatible with the FSB-6.
Attached Thumbnails
Sachtler Speed Lock 4588 legs sticking-tripod-failure.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I contacted the Sachtler rep. She responded quickly and recommended sending out to their repair facility. I opted getting a replacement from B&H since its only a week old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
I have those same legs and had a breakdown a few months ago. I was extending the legs and one leg just came apart. The carbon-fiber tube came out of the plastic block, which allowed the metal shaft to come out of the latch. I got it back together and applied some 5 minute epoxy to hold the tube in. I've been wanting to replace this tripod with a set of Gitzo sticks for some time. Haven't been able to find a set in the shops I've visited in Hong Kong and Singapore and don't want to order anything until I'm sure it will be compatible with the FSB-6.
I can now see the cons of having one lock mechanism for both stages (when its not working properly). I'm primarily using it for sitting interviews where I only want to use the first stage. When the first stage sticks, the second stage came down instead creating a mess with different stages on the legs deploying. I've found working with mid level spreader tripods harder to deal with than photo twist and pull legs. In fairness, I don't want to jump to any conclusions. In truth the tripod is a huge improvement over my previous one both in size and weight.

I think any 75mm bowl legs will work with the FSB6. I've come to the conclusion there are no one right style of legs. Only after you've used it in the field can you decide on what trade offs you're willing to live with. I've heard nothing but good things about the Gitzo but they don't come cheap.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 4th, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads