DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Tripod Sticks & Heads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/)
-   -   Tripod with short folded length? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-sticks-heads/505090-tripod-short-folded-length.html)

Andy Solaini February 7th, 2012 03:42 PM

Tripod with short folded length?

I'm hoping someone can give me some recommendations for a tripod for a Canon XF300 that has a very short folded length.

I need something that can be easily carried in a normal hiking sized backpack. Something of a similar length to a photography tripod would be ideal, ie about 50cm folded. I love my current Vinten but it's too long at 80cm+ and is too heavy to take by air. I have some projects that would require lots of air travel and lots of carrying gear for quite a long by by foot in a backpack.

I am looking at some sturdyish photo tripods that might take a video head. I know these tripods have a big of twist when starting and stopping a pan but for what I will be shooting that is not too important.

Any suggestions?

Chris Soucy February 7th, 2012 04:03 PM

Re: Tripod with short folded length?

Hi, Andy........

Vinten head?

CS

Andy Solaini February 7th, 2012 05:16 PM

Yes, I have the Vision Blue head.

Chris Soucy February 7th, 2012 05:37 PM

Hmm, doesn't leave you with a lot of wriggle room.

You can't modify the VB head to work on a stills type flat top tripod, which leaves you with a 75mm bowl unit.

Then you have the problem of getting that chunky Vinten clamp knob to work on whatever smaller 75mm bowl sticks you finally decide on, which it probably won't.

It may well go on, don't get me wrong, but it's most likely to allow not one shred of head angle adjustment, which negates the use of a ball/ bowl system completely, making that heavy VB head more of a liability than an asset.

I'd start from scratch and start the hunt for a complete system, designed for light weight travel, flat topped tripod, flat bottomed head, small fold length.

Must be someone here with suggestions.

Just my two cents.

CS

PS: If you agree with my assesment, my best suggestion is to abandon this thread and start a new one with your new parameters clearly visible in the title, to give you the best chance of getting the most hits.

Andy Solaini February 7th, 2012 05:52 PM

I too had thought of incorporating the VB head but came to the same conclusion as you. I might have a look at something like the Manfrotto range as they seem to be basically stills photo tripods combined with video heads. Only problem is I have read mixed things about them.

I should say that although a smooth is pan would be good, overall stiffness and no twist is less important for these projects that overall size and weight.

Chris Soucy February 7th, 2012 06:48 PM

Manfrotto 701 seems to mentioned a lot here for the lighter weight systems, that's not a recommendation, mind, just a snippet of info.

As for sticks, dunno.

CS

Les Wilson February 7th, 2012 10:07 PM

If you do some searching here on DVInfo, you will find the question of a travel tripod common. Here's one:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...ml#post1704526

It was enough to do lock down interviews and some basic pans with an EX1R which is a few inches shorter, not so tall and a little lighter. YMMV.

Pete Cofrancesco February 15th, 2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1713918)
If you do some searching here on DVInfo, you will find the question of a travel tripod common. Here's one:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/tripod-s...ml#post1704526

It was enough to do lock down interviews and some basic pans with an EX1R which is a few inches shorter, not so tall and a little lighter. YMMV.

I've researched this in depth. Either start with the legs and match the best light weight head to it or vise versa. Most travel/photo legs only work with non-ball heads which are far from ideal. Gitzo makes a leveler/systematic tripod which can take 75mm ball head. Of the ball heads Sachter FSB4 is the lightest most compact head. Be prepared to pay a hefty sum for Gitzo/Sachter pairing.

My travel setup I ended up going with is Feisol Tournament CT-3342 legs (2.2lbs/23") with leveling accessory and Manfrotto 503 head. Its not perfect but it does what I need it to do.

Brian Murphy February 18th, 2012 10:38 PM

I also use a Fiesol tournament class for travel in tight situations like small planes. I have the Fiesol half ball and was using a Gitzo 2180 Series one fluid head but it was not smooth and too small for my camera so I went to a low cost Manfrotto 501 and didn't like the action much either. I then tried a Wiefeng fluid that I picked up for $75.00 originally for my slider. It is excellent for the money and is a heck of a lot closer to my Sachtler than anything else I have used. I got it from :
ProPhotographyGear.COM!
Very smooth and adjusts well and is smaller than the Manfrotto. So the Fiesol legs and the Weifeng head fit easily in a carry on "roll aboard" bag with room for a couple lowel pro lights/softbox and small stands.

James Kuhn February 19th, 2012 12:40 PM

I don't know if you've already made you purchasing decision, but you might want to consider something like the Gitzo G1325 Mk 2 or whatever is currently in that model-line. With this tripod system, you can buy an adapter that will allow you to use a 75mm bowl. My Gitzo is 25-3/4" from the top of the flat base to the bottom of legs. It could be safely carried in a medium to large backpack with the 'head' uninstalled. Although, most of the 'purpose-built' video backpacks have the facility to attach your tripod on the outside.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ematic+Tripods

I use this system as an alternative to my Sachtler 75 CF sticks.

I don't know if this is helpful or not.

Best regards,

J.

Pete Cofrancesco February 21st, 2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Murphy (Post 1715919)
I also use a Fiesol tournament class for travel in tight situations like small planes. I have the Fiesol half ball and was using a Gitzo 2180 Series one fluid head but it was not smooth and too small for my camera so I went to a low cost Manfrotto 501 and didn't like the action much either. I then tried a Wiefeng fluid that I picked up for $75.00 originally for my slider. It is excellent for the money and is a heck of a lot closer to my Sachtler than anything else I have used. I got it from :
ProPhotographyGear.COM!
Very smooth and adjusts well and is smaller than the Manfrotto. So the Fiesol legs and the Weifeng head fit easily in a carry on "roll aboard" bag with room for a couple lowel pro lights/softbox and small stands.

I had the same experience with the newer Manfrotto HD heads. In my case I got the 502 HD, I didn't like it, and ended up returning it and using an older 503 head. Feisol is a great alternative to Gizo, for 1/2 the price you get 90% of the quality. I use it for fixed camera work and airplane travel.