100mm vs. 75mm bowls? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Major Player

100mm vs. 75mm bowls?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what your thoughts are as to the practical differences between 75mm and 100mm tripods/heads?

I'm fairly set on the idea of a 2-10kg payload range tripod to accommodate various riggings of large-sensor cameras (DSLRs, FS100s, F3s, various rigs etc) but can't quite decide whether to go the 75mm or 100mm route. A used Cartoni Focus with new Miller Solo 100mm legs will set me back roughly the same price as a new Miller Compass 12/Solo Legs 75mm setup (and both offer the same payload range), so which would be the smarter investment?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 100mm vs. 75mm bowls?

Hi, Mark............

With 100mm, you're buying upgradability and a more rigid support, at the cost of increased weight and wear and tear on your back/ shoulders.

Shooting HD means there's no such thing as "too rigid" a support, so 100mm never goes amiss, all things being equal, of course.

The problem comes with the format of the sticks themselves.

The difference in rigidity between a 75mm and 100mm receiver won't show up all that much on sticks with single tube legs, ie: a 1:1:1:1 configuration, as they simply cannot and will not behave like either twin tube or nested I beam legs.

Bump the leg configuration up to 2:2:1 or even better, 2: 2: 2 and you'll see a massive difference in rigidity and a commensurate pounding of your spine.

A 2:2:1 75mm will trounce a 100mm 1:1:1 or a 2:1:1 every time, build quality being equal.

Know nothing about Miller sticks, so can't help you there.

Any use?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Major Player

It does thanks Chris.

My main interest in single tube sticks, lies in the speed and flexibility (being able to throw them up quickly and in a greater variety of locations/terrains).

In your own (many and varied) tests, have you found single tube sticks that much less rigid than multi-tube options, that you avoid them for your own shooting?
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, I must confess, I have never, ever tested a set of single tube (1:1:1) video sticks, simply never come my way.

I've tested one set of 2:1:1 sticks which, quite frankly, were the worst thing I've ever tested as far as rigidity went, no names, no pack drill, but from one of the leaders of the pack.

I take my stance from an answer I got from a certain company, which will not be named by me but you're thinking of buying, when asked this simple question:

"Would you recommend single tube sticks for shooting HD?"

"NO!"

That's all I needed.

Game, set and match.

CS
Old June 24th, 2023, 03:53 AM   #5
Trustee

I shoot live HD broadcast football every week. In fact, I have just rolled back into base and switched on the PC. My position is normally the tight camera on the deck covering the close play the ball POV. Stability and perfect balance is an absolute must.

Re sticks. Give me 100 mm any day over 75 mm. In fact, 150 or 250 mm for heavier and the box lenses are a must of course. I own a number of sticks, I have Vinten, Miller and Manfrotto and had Sachtler. One cannot make sweeping generalisations about single leg over twin leg configurations. In my case neither my twin tube Miller Sprinters or Vinten Pozi-Loc twin legs, just recently serviced, have the torsional rigidity of Manfrotto's MPRO Carbon Fibre 3-Stage 536 solo leg sticks. Actually, they comprise four segments. Why they call then three stage, I don't know? My favourite combo when not going above 100 mm is a Vinten head with its patented "Perfect Balance" system mounted on the Manfrotto 536 legs. That combo offers great stability and torsional rigidity with the maximum space between the legs for operator leg movement, with no spreader to get in the way. Important for sports where you can constantly be walking back and forth around the sticks and panning over 180 degrees left to right for some hours. Also, if you want height they will go to 203 cm, which for crowded pressers is invaluable for getting over the crowd. I can stand under them when fully extended. Very few parallel twin legs tripods will get close to that. But there again, in a studio, I really can't say I prefer one type of leg setup over the other.

It's horses for courses. Travelling for weeks overseas shooting doco work where a large portion of it is interviews followed by city scenes, then I'm all for the 75 mm sticks and head setup. Much easier to travel with. And have never had any issues with that set up. But there again I wouldn't be using massive lenses, so the 75 mm doesn't get overtaxed. As I said, horses for courses. If you are using rear controls a top viewfinder and big long lenses, most 75 mm legs would be starting to groan and flex.

Summing up. I own both 75 mm and 100 heads and own both 75 mm and 100 mm legs, both twin leg and solo leg. The reason for that is that I've never found one set of sticks that will cover all shooting requirements and kit weight levels. My advice, based on over four decades of shooting, chose carefully, work out all the scenarios you possibly need to cover. And whatever total weight you aim to put on any sets of sticks, add another 50% into your calculations to give yourself plenty of stability and rigidity headroom. That extra capacity will also cover you for any extras like monitors, sound kits, rear controls, or even light jibs etc.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2023, 09:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
I shoot live HD broadcast football every week. In fact, I have just rolled back into base and switched on the PC. My position is normally the tight camera on the deck covering the close play the ball POV. Stability and perfect balance is an absolute must.

Re sticks. Give me 100 mm any day over 75 mm. In fact, 150 or 250 mm for heavier and the box lenses are a must of course. I own a number of sticks, I have Vinten, Miller and Manfrotto and had Sachtler. One cannot make sweeping generalisations about single leg over twin leg configurations. In my case neither my twin tube Miller Sprinters or Vinten Pozi-Loc twin legs, just recently serviced, have the torsional rigidity of Manfrotto's MPRO Carbon Fibre 3-Stage 536 solo leg sticks. Actually, they comprise four segments. Why they call then three stage, I don't know? My favourite combo when not going above 100 mm is a Vinten head with its patented "Perfect Balance" system mounted on the Manfrotto 536 legs. That combo offers great stability and torsional rigidity with the maximum space between the legs for operator leg movement, with no spreader to get in the way. Important for sports where you can constantly be walking back and forth around the sticks and panning over 180 degrees left to right for some hours. Also, if you want height they will go to 203 cm, which for crowded pressers is invaluable for getting over the crowd. I can stand under them when fully extended. Very few parallel twin legs tripods will get close to that. But there again, in a studio, I really can't say I prefer one type of leg setup over the other.

It's horses for courses. Travelling for weeks overseas shooting doco work where a large portion of it is interviews followed by city scenes, then I'm all for the 75 mm sticks and head setup. Much easier to travel with. And have never had any issues with that set up. But there again I wouldn't be using massive lenses, so the 75 mm doesn't get overtaxed. As I said, horses for courses. If you are using rear controls a top viewfinder and big long lenses, most 75 mm legs would be starting to groan and flex.

Summing up. I own both 75 mm and 100 heads and own both 75 mm and 100 mm legs, both twin leg and solo leg. The reason for that is that I've never found one set of sticks that will cover all shooting requirements and kit weight levels. My advice, based on over four decades of shooting, chose carefully, work out all the scenarios you possibly need to cover. And whatever total weight you aim to put on any sets of sticks, add another 50% into your calculations to give yourself plenty of stability and rigidity headroom. That extra capacity will also cover you for any extras like monitors, sound kits, rear controls, or even light jibs etc.

Chris Young
Why are you replying to someone 11 years later?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2023, 06:09 AM   #7
Trustee

That's a very good question, Pete. :)

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2023, 12:44 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Interesting read though!

CS
Old June 27th, 2023, 01:41 PM   #9
Vortex Media

I've been patiently waiting 13 years for an answer on this thread. Now I can rest.
Old June 27th, 2023, 08:56 PM   #10
Equal Opportunity Offender

This is DVinfo, where no thread is ever "old" but merely "waiting for the next reply." :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads