Manfrotto 505 vs Gitzo 1380 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Manfrotto 505 vs Gitzo 1380

I'm think on buy one of these two heads on the used market but I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get because I'm having a hard time finding any info that directly compares the two. From what I've read the 505 and 1380 are the exact same head with different paint jobs. Can anyone confirm this? I'm finding that the 505 sell for a bit cheaper on the used market and if the 505 performs exactly like the 1380 then I see no reason to spend the extra money to get the Gitzo just to get the fancy paint job. Anybody care to share any info of the subject?
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Manfrotto 505 vs Gitzo 1380

They are indeed one and the same except for the Gitzo silver paint. I have a 1380, not without its problems. Make sure you get the full set of springs if you buy one. Each spring is for a different head loading, and you may wish to play around a bit with different springs in order to get one that suits.

Gitzo, Manfrotto, Sachtler, Vinten are all part of the same group, Vitec plc (as are Kata and I don't know who else).

I must admit that my Sachtler DVS6 head is in a different league to the 1380 albeit somewhat more pricey.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Manfrotto 505 vs Gitzo 1380

Thanks for the info Ron! I think I'm leaning towards the 505 then. Sachtler would be nice but it's a tad bit out of my price range at this present time.
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads