Tested a Sachtler FSB 4 with CF sticks. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Tested a Sachtler FSB 4 with CF sticks.

Chris...your killing me, mate! Heh, heh!

While I agree one 'could' go with a 'stills' tripod rig, but you would be losing the ability to level the tripod head independently to the 'sticks', although, Gitzo does make a 75mm bowl, 'flat 3/8" receiving plate' ('Stills' style) adapter which gives you both the ability to 'independently' level the Head and use 'flat-bottom', photo style tripod heads. But, you would not be able to use the fine 'Fluid Heads' we've all gotten used to. I had one years ago for said, '2-1/4" outfit', but at the time, it seemed too heavy, and cumbersome. I replaced it with a 'Center Column' adapter that you crank-up and down to alter the elevation. At the time, it was a more practical solution for portraits, etc.

Okay, Mr. Smart-Guy (No disrespect intended), which sticks do you recommend for use with, let's say, a Sachtler FSB-8? : )

Warmest best regards to you and to your lovely wife,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:22 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Jonathan.................

Are you OK if we just hijack your thread, or should we take this outside to the car park?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Major Player

My sincerest apologies for 'Hi-jacking". Guilty as charged.

Sorry Jonathan, we all get caught up in the moment.

Best regards,

J.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hey James.................

Light up another thread and we'll flog the FSB 8 thing to death as well, the more the merrier.

CS
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Major Player

Hey, as long as we can all learn something I'm in for being jacked! Great discussion!
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Game on, though I do suggest James start a new thread that is headed "something something FSB 8".

It enables people who are searching for model specific information to find it, whereas otherwise it would be buried in a thread with a title not relevant.

Just a thought.

CS
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #22
Major Player

After months of thinking and mostly saving, I finally pulled the trigger on the Sachtler fsb 4 and carbon fiber sticks! Should be delivered this Friday or Monday.

Thanks for all the great input and advice. I appreciate that.

Jonathan
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:38 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
After months of thinking and mostly saving, I finally pulled the trigger on the Sachtler fsb 4 and carbon fiber sticks! Should be delivered this Friday or Monday.

Thanks for all the great input and advice. I appreciate that.

Jonathan
I'm thinking of buying FSB-4 too. What legs did you buy with it and how are you liking it?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #24
Major Player

, allJust received my FSB 6 + Speedlock 75 CF system this afternoon and had a good play with my new toy.

After a succession of Gitzo and more recently Manfrotto heads and sticks, each a little dearer than the last, all I can say is WOW!!!!!

A pleasant surprise is that my various Manfrotto 501 plates will fit the FSB 6 perfectly, so no need to spend more there. But I will have to buy a 16 mm diameter adapter for my Manfrotto 523 Pro remote. Unfortunately Manfrotto have dropped this size, but Amazon still have one in stock, so I am OK.

I shall be using this kit with a Sony V1E, Century 2X convertor and Atomos Ninja, all mounted on a custom made rail system. This weighs in at around 5 kg with a COG 95 mm above the head plate, and balances out with counterbalance on 7. There is enough adjustment in the supplied camera plate to achieve balance both with and without the Century convertor fitted.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #25
Major Player

Victor,

Sorry I took so long to get back here. I got the FSB 4 with the CF legs (75?).

Overall I am happy with the unit. The only slight problem I have is the black velcro leg strap. It seems to bind and get kind of caught up in the legs when folding or expanding the tripod. I may take that off and use a loose bungee cord when casing the unit.

Getting a decent smooth pan with a D800 and 70-200mm zoom is a challenge, though this is a monster set up. I started thinking some sort of electric pan head, but that is not going to happen anytime soon. It's still smoother than if I hand hold though ;-}

Jonathan
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Major Player

Did you use Manfrotto before Jonathan? I'm leaning toward this kit instead of speed lock because of it versatility.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767481-REG/Sachtler_0377_Telescopic_Tripod_TT_75_2.html
I would have prefer miller sticks but it just gets too expensive too fast.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #27
Major Player

Victor,

No this is my first full fledge video tripod. I have a few still photo tripods, one Manfroto CF and a Gitzo with a giant mono ball that I can barely lift.

Jonathan
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #28
Major Player

Jonathan Levin...congratulations on your new acquisition! Enjoy it in good health.

I previously mentioned I own the FSB-8 Fluid Head and Speedlock 75 CF sticks. I've never used the FSB-4, but I'm sure it shares many of the same design features of all the 'FSB series' of Fluid Heads. You'll like it even more when it 'settles-in'. This is purely anecdotal, but as my FSB-8 Head was manipulated through it's range of motion with use, the adjustments 'seem' to become more consistent. Meaning, I can set the 'Balance, Drag and Counterbalance' using repeatable settings and they are correct for the the current load and configuration. When I first received my FSB-8, the Drag and Counterbalance settings could be as much as one or two detents (#s) different each time the camera was placed on-board.

Now, that the FSB-8 has 'settled-in', I can use the settings confidently with my two (2) or three (3) standard camera configurations. A copy of the 'settings' are written down and kept in a small plastic sleeve attached to the tripod just in-case I forget or if someone new is using the rig. And yes, I'm a little 'OC'. : )

AFAIK, the 'Speedlock 75 CF' sticks are the lightest and quickest legs available on the Market to set-up. They're perfect for 'run n gun' shooting. I keep my set in the car at all times 'just in case'. They would also be my GOTO sticks if I was going to for an extended hike. Although, my new Sachtler ENG 2 CF HD tripod are heavier to carry, they'd probably get the call if it wasn't a forced march up Kilimanjaro. : ) If I can use an ATV for part of the climb, the ENG 2 CF HD will definitely make the journey along with the Speedlock 75CF sticks. However, if I can only bring one set of sticks on the ATV they would be the ENG 2 CF HD, I like the solid feel of these sticks.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Regards,

J.
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #29
Major Player

Well I want chime in now also....... I just picked up a FSB6 and man all I can say is WOW. Coming from the Manfrotto world of heads and sticks, there really isn't a comparison.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Major Player

I use a Sachtler FSB-4 on a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with a 75mm bowl. I get all the advantage of the true fluid head FSB-4 for lightweight camcorders, with non of the tripod leg issues that Chris discusses. I also have a Sachtler FSB-6 head and a Sachtler Cine DSLR head.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads